Alienware 15r3 Config and tech questions

Hi, I just purchased a preconfigure AW 15R3 with a i7 7700hq, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, 6gb GTX 1060 but IveI searched all over and can't find all the specs  for model AW15R3-7002SLV . 

1.  Does this laptop has a 2.5" hhd?  If so how many mm is it?  What's the largest 2.5 inch it could hold 2tb?

2.  The specs on the website don't tell me if I purchased the 1080 60hz ips or the 120hz TN . I'd rather have the IPS and am hoping that's the base config.  

3.  In general terms, if I but a 16gig stick of 2400mhz ram and place in the empty slot will that automatically increase the performance or will have mismatched sticks screw it around . 

Anyways, thanks in advance for your help. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jphughan
Diamond

Re: Alienware 15r3 Config and tech questions

If the dispay is important to you, it probably would have been best to hold off on the purchase until you clarified that rather than ordering first and asking questions later, but if you have an order confirmation email, typically clicking the order status link will allow you to access an individual component list that shows your order, so you should be able to tell the display type there.  Same goes for the hard drive.  I doubt you'll find a spec that indicates the maximum 2.5" drive thickness the system supports (although that would certainly be nice info), but just to make sure you're aware, drive capacity and drive thickness are CORRELATED, but they're not absolute.  So if you find that your system can support up to the standard 9.5mm drive thickness, then any 9.5mm drive will fit, regardless of its capacity.  There is currently no practical limit on drive capacity itself.  The last time that happened was back in the Windows XP SP1 days.

As for memory, first you'll want to make sure your system even supports 16GB DIMMs, but if it does, then mismatched sticks are normally fine.  That said, memory has always been a bit finicky in that certain combinations don't seem to work even when all of the specs match and therefore it seems they should, and unfortunately there isn't a way to know that in advance -- so if you decide to upgrade aftermarket, be prepared for that.  This does seem to have gotten better over the years, though.

0 Kudos

Well holding off wasn't an option.  This laptop was on sale at the AAFES PX website for $898.  $500 below all known websites for this config with a 1060 with only 2 in stock at time of purchase . After reading over the listing several times it does say 300 nit 1080p IPS so I should be good there . I'm assuming it has a 2.5 inch bay but if not I'll use the thunderbolt 3 port to output to external drives . 

0 Kudos
jphughan
Diamond

Looking at the service manual available on support.dell.com, it has an NVMe SSD slot as well as a 2.5" drive bay.  The SSD you ordered will more than likely use the former, in which case the 2.5" drive bay would be open.  However, using the 2.5" drive bay requires a bracket and an interposer cable, and with some systems Dell doesn't include those parts unless you ordered the system with a 2.5" drive actually installed -- but on some systems they always include those parts.  If those parts aren't included and you want them though, you can get them by calling Dell Spare Parts.

0 Kudos