c_bator
Copper

Alienware 17 R4 fan noise - bad bearing?

I just went through round 1 of sending this laptop back for warranty repair... I got it back with a new heatsink and logic board but still with the original problem.....

At low to moderate GPU fan speeds there is a grinding gravelly noise. It happens occasionally at startup briefly, when I open a graphics intensive application, and other times like going to YouTube..... the problem is repeatable at will.

Since support is apparently not understanding my problem, and apparently doesn't actually listen to repaired systems or do suggested things that bring up the issue.... 

what can I tell them to get this resolved?

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Alienware 17 R4 fan noise - bad bearing?

Hi @c_bator!

We are sorry to hear about your problem. Can you please send me your Service Tag on a Private Message so we can look further into your case? 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Tammy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube LogoFacebook LogoTwitter Logo

0 Kudos
MogRules
Silver

If they replaced the heatsink then typically that would come with new fans as well as they are all connected and it's a PITA to remove the fans from the heatsink.  I can't seem them replacing JUST the heatsink and not the fans but I guess it's possible? 

Call up support again or PM the rep that responded to you and hopefully they can get you sorted out.  

Alienware 17R4 | i7 7820HK | GTX1080 | 16GB DDR4 | 120hz G-Sync
0 Kudos
c_bator
Copper

I think you're right, they did replace the fans with the heatsink. Just wish the parts list indicated that.

...,and that is wasn't returned with the same problem it went it to get fixed.

0 Kudos
MogRules
Silver

Chances are it's a whole new heatsink , fans included which is even more odd....I would think the odds of having two bad fans on two heatsinks in a row are pretty slim.  As much flak as the Alienware heatsinks get, faulty fans are not usually a problem. 

Alienware 17R4 | i7 7820HK | GTX1080 | 16GB DDR4 | 120hz G-Sync
0 Kudos
c_bator
Copper

Any ideas what else it could be?

0 Kudos
c_bator
Copper

New behavior...... I can stop the noise by muting my system. The noise can occur while muted, but toggling the sound will stilll stop it.

maybe a sound / speaker issue? What would cause this?

0 Kudos