colorgodz
Copper

USB-C to Display Port in 4K?

Does the USB-C port on a 2016 17" R3, with GTX 980M, have the capability to transfer in 4K to a second monitor that is 4K ? And if so, via a cable such as this one?  -  Monoprice USB Type C to DisplayPort 3.1 Cable - 5Gbps, Active, 4K@60Hz.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jphughan
Diamond

Re: USB-C to Display Port in 4K?

If you use USB-C, you'll have the bandwidth of a single DisplayPort 1.2 connection available, which is enough to run a single 4K display at 60 Hz, using either a native USB-C cable, or a USB-C to DisplayPort cable/adapter, or a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 cable/adapter -- so yes, that will work.  But the Alienware 17 R3 can actually do a bit better since its USB-C port can also do Thunderbolt 3, and when you use that, you get two DisplayPort 1.2 connections, enough for dual 4K at 60 Hz or a single 5K display (if the GPU supports driving a single 5K display from dual DisplayPort links, which I think it does, but I'm not sure).  If you wanted to tap into this capability, you'd need something like a Thunderbolt dock such as the Dell TB16, or else a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter.

jphughan
Diamond

In addition, I wrote a long post about USB-C and Thunderbolt 3's technical details here if you're interested: https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General/Demystifying-USB-C-and-Thunderbolt-i-e-adapter-and-do...

0 Kudos
colorgodz
Copper

Thank you Sir! Both of your replies were what I needed to know. If my R3 were a newer model it would have already had a display port...oh well, still a great laptop. My biggest concern is the second monitor matching the laptop display as it's a 400-nits ISP UHD screen. 60Hz in UHD is the max of my card which is fine as I use it for video & photo editing. 

Again, THANKS! 

0 Kudos