Fjolfrin
1 Copper

13 R3, Possible RAM failure

Hello there.

So I tried to turn on my alienware 13 r3 Skylake  today, but I got a black screen and a flashing light code on the alienhead: 2 red 4 blue.  I read on the manual that it indicates a RAM failure, so I want to confirm.

I also tried disconnecting the battery and hold the power button so it can discharge, but to no unveil.

Do you suggest anything else I should do?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: Possible RAM failure

Unplug the system, disconnect the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.

Remove and reinstall the memory modules and try powering up.  If the system boots, you're set.

If not, try one module at a time in each socket until you isolate the bad module (which will cause a bootup fault in either socket) or the bad socket (in which case both modules will cause bootup error in one socket but not the other).  Replace the corresponding part (module if it's bad; mainboard if the socket is bad).

0 Kudos
Fjolfrin
1 Copper

Thanks for the reply.

Somehow when I took off the RAM and rubbed the pins a bit (with a non-static piece of cloth) the problem was gone. Maybe some particle of dust or oxidation due to heat prevented contact between the RAM and the socket.

All is good now.

0 Kudos

Will doing this wipe the memory on the laptop, or will everything be able to be restored? Asking urgently for a desperate friend. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HellsDisciples
3 Argentium

Nothing is saved in RAM. You'll be fine.
0 Kudos