15 R2, AGA, upgrade to RTX 2070 Super?

Hi all,

I've got an Alienware 15 R2 with the following spec:

i7-6820HK

4k display (IGZO IPS 300-nits)

16Gb 2133 MHz DDR4 memory

2 x 512GB M2 SSD

Nvidia GTX 980M (8GB DDR5)

I've also got a AGA with a Nvidia GTX 980 Ti installed.

My question is this - is it worth upgrading the graphics gard in the AGA to something like a RTX 2070 or 2080 Super or am I likely to hit performance bottlenecks because of the processor / memory etc in the laptop? This is assuming I can find an RTX 2070 Super that fits (suggestions are welcome!)

Cheers,

Steve

24 Posts

July 28th, 2020 13:00

Thanks for your reply. 

Other user has mentioned that there may be issues when people that have a Nvidia GPU upgrade their system with an AMD GPU. This is not mentioned by Alienware anywhere - which they should had -. 

But at least for me, the 5600XT did not work. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@kondenado  Ok, but if some retail card includes a modified VBIOS that prevents it from working in the AGA, is that really the AGA's fault?  Hard to say without knowing more details about the reason for the modification.  And technically that could even apply to certain variations of GPUs that are listed as compatible, which is why that note exists.  That note means that Dell can't promise that every GeForce RTX 2080 Ti will work, for example.

Also, that old February 2019 post you keep citing actually indicates the size of cards it supports.  Right above the GPU compatibility table -- and right near that VBIOS note -- the post says, "The AGA can support video cards of up to 375w, dual slot, 10.5"."  So Dell definitely does provide that information, in multiple locations.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@kondenado  You say, "Note that you cant find anywhere which it's the size of supported cards."  The AGA product page here says "...with support for full-length, double-wide, PCI-Express x16 graphics cards."  Full-length and double-wide are industry standard definitions for expansion cards.

As for you saying, "Also they claim that some modifications on the BIOS made by the manufacturer may make the GPU not compatible with the AGA."  Who is "they" in that sentence?

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 28th, 2020 14:00

I’m sure they’ll update the list for the latest AMD graphics cards and then the new 3000 series GPUs from nividia.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@kondenado  In your previous post, you literally said, "The issue with the 5600XT is not the length, it's the width."  And now you said, "The issue with the XT was not that it didn't fit inside."  If it fit inside, then why did you bother mentioning the width of the card and blaming Dell for having an "incompatible" AGA, even though the reason might have been that your card was wider than a strict dual slot configuration?  If there are ALSO other issues with the AGA and the 5600XT, then fair enough -- but in that case why bother mentioning card width in one post and then saying that fitment isn't an issue in the very next post?

24 Posts

@jphughan My bad.

The issue of the length is with the RX2060, not with the 5600XT which fits nicely but which doesn't work. I just realized the mistake in my earlier post.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@Alienware Area-51 ALX 2006  Not 2.3 inches.  2.3 slots.  But yes there have apparently been some pretty monstrous GPUs in the past.  Check out this article: https://graphicscardhub.com/gpu-slot-type/

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

I personally liked my AGA because it gave my old 15 R1 some life before it dies of something critical on the motherboard.

I loved the old way of upgrading your GPU on your laptop using the old MXM form factor instead of the proprietary DGFF or AGA for upgrades. I don’t know why they went soldered for the old Alienware 13,15 laptops from 2014-18.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@kondenado  It might help to specify exactly WHICH Radeon 5600XT card you're talking about, since different vendors make cards with different cooling solutions that can affect width, but according to this article, at least one vendor (Sapphire) makes Radeon 5600XT cards that are more than a 2-slot card.  They're 2.3-slot cards.  If that's what you have, then that is NOT Alienware's fault.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

They make 2.3 inch cards???? How about 3 slot cards?

24 Posts

@jphughan 

The issue with the XT was not that it didn't fit inside, the issue with the 5600XT was that it was not working. The FPS in some games was really bad (encased RPG) and in other games, the game had "large black squares". Meaning that it was not working. It was a "software issue".

The manufacturer I think was Asus. 

24 Posts

I don't think they will. They didn't update the list for the last AMD series. 

Considering my experience with AGA and the lack of technical support, my assumption is that they will discontinue the product when they finnish the stock. 

Sincerely, I have never been so disappointed and regretted the purchase of  product as much as I am having with the AGA

24 Posts

Thank for your comment. 

Yes, I do agree that modification on the VRAM that the compatibility with the AGA is not Alienware fault. But you need to say it very clearly. Otherwise you will be misleading people and people will buy non compatible GPUs.

They say "The AGA can support video cards of up to 375w, dual slot, 10.5"."

Radeon 5600XT fulfills those requirements and its not compatible. The issue with the 5600XT is not the length, is the width (and its for few mm). So while fulfilling what Alienware says, they are not really compatible and thats on Alienware.  

1 Message

November 7th, 2020 14:00

will they support this card in the future? 

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

November 9th, 2020 08:00

Yes. Its just the need of you having the proper graphics amp driver and then also having the drivers from dell themselves.

No Events found!