15 R2, stops charging under load and games crash

Hi,

Laptop specs:

i7-6820HK @ 2.70GHz
8GB DDR4 SDRAM @ 2133MHz
NVIDIA GTX980M
240W Flextronics Adapter

Problem:

When playing intensive games (recently: Sea of Thieves, Overwatch, Vermintide 2) the laptop will crash from anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours with one of two errors:

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
"Application SoTGame.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware."

In addition to this, when under load, the laptop will alternate between running through the AC adapter and draining the battery, resulting in a net battery drain. If not set to high performance mode, the draining will be less but the crashes more likely and when set to high performance mode, the battery drain is much higher. The battery drain is relatively quick making it impossible to play for long durations.

Things I've tried:

- Monitor temperature - All fine - Around 70C and never higher than 90C. Crashes have happened at 60C lowest.
- Use cooling pad
- Reapply termal paste
- Clean out fans
- Underclock GPU and undervolt processor
- Run games at lower settings
- Running BIOS diagnostics - no problems found
- Running SupportAssist diagnostics and stress tests - "abnormal exit" after "successful" GPU stress test completion
- Stress testing CPU and GPU (no crashing)
- Install various different Nvidia drivers (newest, beta, old, last stable before crashing, random drivers, drives suggest by Nvidia support, etc.)
- Reinstall Windows
- Factory Reset

Has anyone had this problem before? Or found a way to resolve it? I would assume the GPU isn't getting enough power but is there a way to check this before spending a decent amount of money on a new AC adapter?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted

Re: 15 R2, stops charging under load and games crash

Hi @Pyrooo,

This could be related to the AC Adapter, you can try by getting a 330W AC.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

Pyrooo
1 Copper

Hi @Alienware-Eimy Thanks for getting back to me! I wasn't aware that there was a 330W adapter for the 15 R2 - I can't seem to find one in the online store. Any idea where I can buy one? It's also a fair amount of money to buy one, only to find out that it doesn't fix the issue. Is there a way to confirm that the 240W adapter isn't supplying enough power beforehand? Thank you again!

0 Kudos

You can call Sales at 866 287 6727 opt #3.

And unfortunately at this point, there is no other way to know until you try the 330W.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos

240W Flextronics Adapter

Most likely, that is your issue. My 15 R3 shipped with one, and DELL swapped it out by sending me a whole new one when the AC Adapter would turn itself OFF while being plugged into my laptop, and the wall.

No issues with a DELL manufactured one. Got told there were some adapters shipped with units that weren't properly manufactured. Recommend buying a new one if your warranty is up, which it most likely is.

Might I recommend before you buy however, google DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and running that, then reinstalling current driver to see if it fixes your issue before you blow roughly $70 on a new one?

0 Kudos
kunalkolamkar
1 Nickel

Update the BIOS and graphic driver it will resolve the issue
0 Kudos
kunalkolamkar
1 Nickel

If the laptop is shipped with the adapter then it means its compatible with the laptop right their is no sense in buying a new more powerful adapter it's like wasting money after buying a car u need to buy a engine to drive it.

0 Kudos

@kunalkolamkar wrote:

If the laptop is shipped with the adapter then it means its compatible with the laptop right their is no sense in buying a new more powerful adapter it's like wasting money after buying a car u need to buy a engine to drive it.

Except some of the Flextronic ones that were shipped with units were faulty or made improperly(not up to design specs). If the laptop is fairly new, that could be the issue.

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

^-- Generally a faulty display driver and further recommend DDU and reinstall nVidia drivers.

0 Kudos
somtwift
1 Copper

You may have the same problem I had with my Alienware 15 R1. Same symptoms. Tried everything on forums and internet. New battery, new 330w power supply, replaced DC internal connector, updated BIOS etc. Never fixed it BUT . . . I found a workaround for my problem. In Device Manager under battery you will find Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery. Disable it and keep it disabled. You will lose your little battery charge state icon on your task bar but it will still charge. Charge your battery to 100%.  I went from EVERYTHING at EVERY SETTING stuttering, to all AAA games running in ULTRA. Was able to step down to my Alienware M14, 150W power supply and keep it running and charging at the same time. If you want to check your battery status just re-enable and check it. Be sure to disable it again before leaving.  I expect there are a lot of people out there changing parts that won't fix this problem.  Easy to try . . . of course your miles may vary.

0 Kudos