Highlighted
steve97
1 Copper

15 R3, GPU usage drops to 0%, game freezes for 1s every 10s

Hi everyone,

A few month ago i encountered this annoying problem that after around 5 minutes in game, the screen freezes every 10-20 seconds for about 1 sec. I noticed that first in hunt: showdown and pubg i have done a lot of research since this happened first but nothing seems to work. Now im having the same problem with the game Apex Legends. I tried setting the graphics to potato-mode (everything-off and ultra low) but that didnt work, and the temperature is also around 75° so no heat problem. 

Im playing on a Laptop:
Alienware 15-R3 64bit
intel core i7-6700HQ 2.60GHz
GTX 1070 8Gb
Windows 10

Thanks for any help!

This is wat my Gpu usage looks like

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: 15 R3, GPU usage drops to 0%, game freezes for 1s every

Hi @steve97,

This seems like a motherboard issue. If the system is still in warranty send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can assist you further.

Otherwise you can always contact our out of warranty department at 866 287 6727 opt#4 for repair options.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
HeafyMetal
1 Nickel

I’m having the exact same problem on my 15 R3, how can I solve it? Other games runs perfectly, but Apex Legends keeps freezing and crashing and I have to turn off the pc with the button. Not even task manager leave me closing the game freezed.
0 Kudos

Hi @HeafyMetal,

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
HeafyMetal
1 Nickel

I tried literally everything:
1) Updating drivers and BIOS : didn't solve
2) Enable fan performance mode : didnt' solve
3) Enable Cpu performance mode (OC) : didn't solve
3) Using the diagnostics on the official Dell site (the 40 minutes test with supportassist): didn't find anything wrong
4) Updating my GPU drivers: didn't solve
5) Rollbacked my GPU drivers: didn't solve
6) Changing and trying different battery options: didn't solve
7) Changing and trying different settings through Nvidia control panel: didn't solve 
8) Scanning my pc with different anti virus / anti malware : didn't find anything, my pc is clean
9) Cleaning the dust on the back of my pc: didn't solve

I'm probably forgetting something, but those are the most important things i tried.

I don't know what to do anymore, the situation while i gaming (doesn't matter the game, it happens with every game), is the following:

https://imgur.com/a/EtqhwJe

why their usage isnt stable?? What the heck is that behavior?

Temperatures of CPU and GPU while i game are very very high too.

0 Kudos
HeafyMetal
1 Nickel

0 Kudos