Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

2 Posts

October 6th, 2019 08:00

15 R3, I'm honestly just disappointed

A couple years ago I blew all my savings on a Alienware 15 R3. I didn't know it would turn out to be a lemon.

Having something that could handle 3D software, editing and heavy renders was essential and this laptop seemed perfect. But I didn't know what was coming.

Within a few weeks of owning the laptop, the Tobii IR camera stopped working. I have to give it to Dell/Tobi for their chat support. They put me in touch with an engineer at Tobii tech since regular troubleshooting wasn't working. Eventually though I gave up. I could live without Windows Hello and the issue just wasn't going away. Eventually after a couple months of Tobii software updates, it started to work again (with occasional bugs of not being able to connect to the camera now and then).

And then, just a little over a year since I'd been using the computer, it just went dead. I took it out of my bag and couldn't get it turn on. Just a blinking power button. 

Long story short, I spent more than 2 months making emails, payments, phone calls and waiting for my laptop to be fixed. All expenses were out of pocket since my warranty had expired. Apparently my motherboard needed replacing and I had spent 25,000 rupees (a lot for a college student) to get it fixed. I had a terrible experience with the Dell Service Team. They constantly lied as to what the diagnosis was, where my parts were, and the time that it would take. I found out that the service center had only placed an order for the parts I needed almost 4 weeks after I'd initially handed over the laptop.

Later, a few weeks after I got the laptop back, I received a call asking for my feedback. I told them it shouldn't have taken more than 2 months for what was just a part replacement. The person who called responded with "You deposited your laptop near the end of August and received at the end of October, which is around 1 month, sir". I had to remind her about the entire month of September.

About a month ago, my display just stopped working out of the blue. I found a part online and replaced it myself since the city I live in no longer has any official service center. 

Today, I'm typing on a time bomb. I can feel the battery bulging through the palm rest and trackpad. This computer has stolen my money, my time and my peace of mind. I'm not sure what to do anymore. I can't afford a new laptop at the moment. Going to have to ride this out for as long as I can.

Alienware products are supposed to be built like tanks. The experience I went through with this machine was not worth the purchase. Perhaps I got a lemon. Perhaps I was just unlucky. But I'm never buying a Dell machine again. 

137 Posts

October 6th, 2019 23:00

Just a bad luck. It shouldn't have happened at all with this a such expensive laptop. We spend a huge amount of money just not to have problems. I wouldn't be happy, either.

Dell should make every effort to reduce time for repairs and only hope they will be able to fix it.

Fortunately my 15 R3 has been working great and that's why I've made up my mind to purchase Alienware 17 Area-51m. I've had it almost 2 months already working well without problems I couldn't solve myself.

Let force be with you

2 Posts

October 8th, 2019 23:00

Glad to hear it's going well for you! Atleast it's not everyone.

February 11th, 2020 09:00

I am happy with my Alienware 15 R3, at least until the battery failed.

A swollen battery can cause touch pad failure and warped palm rest.

Battery pn 001D82 is only available from a liquidator. 

This was better written but I had problems getting signed in finding a nickname. 

February 13th, 2020 10:00

Same except my Area-51m lasted 4 months before killing itself. Camera quality , won’t even turn on, Doesn’t let me use the touchpad despite me turning it on.

No Events found!