mtbaldwin
1 Copper

Re: Alienware 15 R3: KB4517211 breaks Alienware Sound Center (A-Volute)

I fixed this by allowing the AW sound system run as administrator. its under properties in the start group in task manager.

MikeB2308
2 Bronze

Good catch!   Works for me....Thanks

0 Kudos
DataLoreQ
1 Copper

Disregard this one, as I can't delete it. 

I was using remote software trying to bring up the task manager for my Alienware laptop by doing the cntl+alt+del.  Yeah, it wasn't bringing up the task manager I was looking for...  Brought up the task manager I was looking for, disabled the AW Sound in startup, and no further issues. 

***Original***

I do not have "AWSoundCenter" or any AW Sound listed under the Start Group (in Task Manager).  Setting the file it is pointing to to run as Admin (under file properties) seems to have no effect.

Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
S E
1 Copper

Brilliant. Dell support sent me to Win>Settings>Apps>Startup to disable it, but in that panel you can not set any properties. It took me a moment to find TaskManager>Startup>RightClick(SoundCenter)/Properties/Compatibility>RunAsAdmin, so I'm making this post mostly to help others get there faster.

IT WORKED! Thanks! I have Alienware 17 R4.

Dell support <Service request number removed> told me yesterday they're still working on it. They've known about it for some time. They don't have a fix yet. They suggested making an exception in Windows Defender, but hinted that would be a temporary workaround pending an update to Sound Center. I like your fix better.

PS: I get the same Task Manager no matter how I start it, right-click on taskbar or CtrlAltDel. Not sure why the other poster thought there were two TMs.

kacaillouet
1 Copper

Disabling AWSoundCenter at startup did the trick for me. Thanks.

0 Kudos

Same here:  disabling ASC at startup via Task Manager, or changing ASC properties to "run as admin, " eliminated UAC prompt upon login.  

Hopefully a new version of ASC will be released soon.  Can ASC be acquired separately from the Realtek driver?

0 Kudos
mdisante
1 Copper

If you check, I think that you will find this simply stops the program from running.

0 Kudos
mdisante
1 Copper

Just changing the properties of the executable to Run as Admin causes a Windows exception and prevents the executable from launching. The correct long-term solution is to, 1) remove the Windows startup request and 2) define an entry in the Task Scheduler that is triggered by Any User Login. Do not forget to edit the properties of the entry to include the /noUI parameter. The easiest way to remove the Windows startup request is using CCleaner. Just go to the startup tab and disable/delete the Nahimic entry. The utility UACPass will define the basic Task Scheduler entry for you. Once it is done, launch task scheduler, change the target system to Windows 10, add the Any User Login trigger and add the /noUI parameter to the run definition.

0 Kudos

Re: 15 R3: KB4517211 breaks Alienware Sound Center (A-Volute)

Yes, both methods simply stop ASC from running.  After the referenced Windows update is applied, the UAC prompt still appears whenever ASC is started.   Hopefully a new version of ASC will be released soon.  

The simplest workaround is to disable ASC from running at startup via Task Manager.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ardencyy
1 Copper

How do you do that? Please respond this popup is irritating. 

0 Kudos