Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 28th, 2019 07:00

15 R3, KB4517211 breaks Alienware Sound Center (A-Volute)

September 26, 2019—KB4517211 (OS Build 18362.387, Win 10 Pro version 1903)

After this optional Win 10 update is installed, A-Volute, a part of Alienware Sound Center, requires admin privileges to start upon Windows login.  Uninstalling the update is the only apparent way to stop the UAC prompt upon login.

Any ideas on how to stop the automatic A-Volute-related UAC prompt on login with update installed?

October 4th, 2019 12:00

Same here:  disabling ASC at startup via Task Manager, or changing ASC properties to "run as admin, " eliminated UAC prompt upon login.  

Hopefully a new version of ASC will be released soon.  Can ASC be acquired separately from the Realtek driver?

6 Posts

October 10th, 2019 07:00

If you check, I think that you will find this simply stops the program from running.

6 Posts

October 10th, 2019 08:00

Just changing the properties of the executable to Run as Admin causes a Windows exception and prevents the executable from launching. The correct long-term solution is to, 1) remove the Windows startup request and 2) define an entry in the Task Scheduler that is triggered by Any User Login. Do not forget to edit the properties of the entry to include the /noUI parameter. The easiest way to remove the Windows startup request is using CCleaner. Just go to the startup tab and disable/delete the Nahimic entry. The utility UACPass will define the basic Task Scheduler entry for you. Once it is done, launch task scheduler, change the target system to Windows 10, add the Any User Login trigger and add the /noUI parameter to the run definition.

October 10th, 2019 10:00

Yes, both methods simply stop ASC from running.  After the referenced Windows update is applied, the UAC prompt still appears whenever ASC is started.   Hopefully a new version of ASC will be released soon.  

The simplest workaround is to disable ASC from running at startup via Task Manager.

1 Message

October 12th, 2019 11:00

How do you do that? Please respond this popup is irritating. 

October 12th, 2019 12:00

Task Manager/Startup/right-click on AWSoundCenter and select "Disable."

6 Posts

October 21st, 2019 21:00

PROGRESS UPDATE: Dell suggests that sometimes re-installing the OS, then re-installing the OS updates, can help. Maybe. This has been escalated to Microsoft, and it is anticipated that a future Windoze update will fix the problem.

By the way, I got a phone call asking me to close the ticket even though the problem was not solved. Once I got over the indignation of what that meant, I insisted I would not agree to closing it early. NOT agreeing seemed to lead to escalation and involved Microsoft. My advice is to leave your support tickets open until it's fully solved and tested, in order to keep the issue alive. Would you let a contractor declare the job done before you could use your bathtub??

1 Message

October 22nd, 2019 18:00

Hey everyone, I had the same problem too and it seems like I really need to wait for an update to fix my problem, but I wanted to know if it was exactly the same for you guys. AW Sound Center would also ask for permission when turning on my laptop and managed to fix that with the task manager, but I also get not one, but 4 notifications asking for permission every time I want to change my audio devices, I change them pretty often from monitor to headphones and vice-versa, and every time I do that, I get those pesky admin permission notifications all at once. I've tried giving administrator permissions to the AW Command Center, and even other executables in the folder to make sure, but it does not work. Obviously, I believe that turning the UAC off will get rid of these, but I am scared of not having the notifications for when I really need them.

6 Posts

December 9th, 2019 11:00

Kudos? Really? It took MONTHS during which they nagged me constantly to close the bug report with no fix available. During those months they repeatedly changed who they said was "at fault", and never could explain why the Sound Center is even there. I disabled it and never noticed any difference, so what is it for and why was it only that tool which produced dozens of annoying popups. If Realtek was the problem, no other software triggered the problem.

"Finally" is the word which comes to my mind, not "Kudos".

December 10th, 2019 07:00

The issue did take some months to fix, but since the issue was minor and the workaround was easy, I had largely forgotten about the issue.  I was quite pleased that the issue was finally fixed out of the blue!  Perhaps I went a little overboard in offering "kudos"! 

But I understand the frustration when having to deal with tech support.  I didn't because my contract has expired. 

2 Posts

December 11th, 2019 20:00

Great,but it doesn't work.  I get;

Install Realtek HD Audio Driver Failure !!
[Error Code" -0001]

No driver supported in this driver package.

1 Message

December 14th, 2019 05:00

Whatever the update did it just froze my Alienware 13. I had been just denying the pop up or exiting multiple times. After the auto update from Alienware I denied the pop up again and exited and now my laptop has been unresponsive for hours and the power button doesn’t work. I think it’s fried.

Well after just letting the battery run dry after a few hours I was able to turn it back on. Seems to be ok, yah I changed it so it the Alienware audio center doesn't turn on at startup.

1 Message

December 15th, 2019 22:00

Hello there,

Extract the "Realtek-Audio-Driver_V2G7G_WIN_6.0.8816.1_A09.EXE" manually and

then go to " RealtekHDAudio -> Nahimic " from the extracted folder

try reinstalling " AWSoundCenter " alone and then reboot your system.

this helped me to get rid of that admin permission request Why don't you give it a try.

1 Message

February 15th, 2020 14:00

This helped a lot, thanks.

For others (if the run as administrator isn't working) you will have to end the current iteration of AW sound center from task manager for this to take effect.

No Events found!