Start a Conversation

Unsolved

TC

2 Posts

March 30th, 2019 02:00

15 R3, Speaker audio crackling, chirping issue

This very same issue just happened a few minutes ago on my 15 R3. Currently trying to reinstall windows to see if that would help. But as far as I have read till now no real solutions were given that lead to fixing it.

So far:

- removed audio driver.

- switching output devices

- Plugging in external speakers

Does NOT do a thing of making this non stop jittering and cracking noise go away. And with that I mean its there 24/7. We opened up the laptop a few minutes ago when we woke and a loud static noise came through the speaker. Stopping after a minute or so. After that, whatever sound was played through ANY sound device made the speaker emit loud noise, stutter and distortion as if it was having a full audio buffer.

March 31st, 2019 02:00

@Tekno Catron wrote:

This very same issue just happened a few minutes ago on my 15 R3. Currently trying to reinstall windows to see if that would help. But as far as I have read till now no real solutions were given that lead to fixing it.

So far:

- removed audio driver.

- switching output devices

- Plugging in external speakers

Does NOT do a thing of making this non stop jittering and cracking noise go away. And with that I mean its there 24/7. We opened up the laptop a few minutes ago when we woke and a loud static noise came through the speaker. Stopping after a minute or so. After that, whatever sound was played through ANY sound device made the speaker emit loud noise, stutter and distortion as if it was having a full audio buffer.

try updating realtek drivers? I hate that they got rid of Creative Sound Blaster Core 3D.. sense then sound quality has went down hill.

April 1st, 2019 02:00

- We tried updating the drivers.
windows 10 had several re installs too.

- Ubuntu 16 was booted from a USB stick in order to check if it was an driver issue and showed the exact same issues as in windows.

Most likely it is hardware related as the noice starts as soon as the audio chip gets been told to do things. Ticking remains for a minute after the audio and then stops untill another audio is being played.

Just been on the phone with the servicedesk of Dell and got a appointment from UPS for pickup.

They indicated that premium service expired on the laptop. No idea what that means but as long as they can fix it I'm fine with it.

April 29th, 2019 07:00

I had the same problem with my new 17. Dell walked me through a BIOS update that seemed to fix the problem but, the problem soon reappeared a few days later. It turned out that it was not a BIOS problem. The real issue for me was due to my computer going into hibernate mode instead of actually shutting down when I powered off my computer. Microsoft started implementing this little-known Windows 10 configuration a few years ago.  Basically, when you power off your computer in Windows 10, it doesn't really power off. Instead, they have implemented something called "fast startup" which essentially turns the power off option into a hibernate option.  So, instead of your memory getting cleared when you "shut down", it leaves your RAM powered so that it retains previous information. Hibernate is well known for causing issues when used for long periods so I have no idea why they would do this. In my case, applications were using 100% of the processor leaving little for the audio driver which resulted in the crackling and chirping. The details for turning off fast startup are here - https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup.  For me, this stopped all of my audio issues.

Hope that this helps someone.

February 2nd, 2021 07:00

I had this problem and I think I've fixed it by disabling the Killer E3000 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet Controller using Device Manager. If anyone else wants to try this open device manager, find the above device, right click and disable. This will prevent you from using a cable connected internet and you'll have to use WiFi. So far since disabling this device I've had no problems, it was driving me nuts before.
No Events found!