Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

20 Posts

June 13th, 2019 00:00

15 R3, Windows 1903 update, weird failure

The image pretty much says it all:

Update_Warning.png

As would be expected with a two year old Alienware 15 R3, it's got an Intel core-i7, yet the update is showing a complaint that should be strictly limited to AMD chips.  Net result, since I can't install the "required diver", the 1903 update fails to go through.

I very strongly suspect this is a Microsoft issue, but I figure I'd raise it here first since there may be some knowledge as to how to work round this.  In addition, Dell probably have a far better chance of getting Microsoft to take a look at this than I do.

It might be related to the fact that the SSD in this machine describes itself as "AMD RAID PC300 NVMe SK hy SCSI Disk Device", (emphasis mine) in device manager, and the driver that's installed for it is prehistoric: dated 6/21/2006.  Yet searching for updated drivers turns up a message that it has the most up-to-date drivers.

I also D/L the firmware update for it from here:  but on opening the toolbox installed by that download it doesn't identify the SSD, so that's a bit of a non-starter.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

June 13th, 2019 19:00

Hi, 

For my notes, click my Alienware-name and private message me the Alienware PC service tag number.

20 Posts

June 14th, 2019 00:00

OK,  Getting a little traction on the problem.  I took a look through all of Device Manager, and found an "AMD-RAID Configuration SCSI Processor Device" under "System devices".  Checking the version of the driver, it's out of date with respect to what's required by Microsoft for the 1903 update.

Dell, the ball is now in your court.  You put this device in my computer when you built it.  Where can I get the most up to date drivers for it?

June 16th, 2019 20:00

Hey, same failure here. I tired to upgrade my 5290 2-in-1 several times, with incompatible AMD-Raid driver error or infinite boot screen loop. Even recovered the whole system but with no luck.

Finally got it working. Please refer to https://community.amd.com/thread/240190 and manually update three amd-related drivers (they are not in the same category, find it carefully) . It works for me!

2 Posts

July 1st, 2019 03:00

Hi 

Im also getting this error message as well. The machine in question is a 5490 and is only one month old.

It was bought with 6 other of the exact same machines. only this one has the problem. 

In device manager this machine getting the error is showing the SSD as an amd raid pc410 nvme sk hy 

Where as the other 5490's show the SSD as pc410 nvme sk hy. 

Anyone have the same problem or any resolution? 

1 Message

July 23rd, 2019 12:00

Hi

Can you tell me where you found the three drivers (I assume you're referring to rcbottom, rcraid and rccfg) I only found an amd_raid_drivers_v9.2.0.120.exe on the AMD site. As far as I can see this file does not include these drivers, also not in the include MSI files.

Best regards

Johan

No Events found!