Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

2 Posts

October 6th, 2018 05:00

15 R3, external monitor random freeze

My laptop is an Alienware 15 R3, with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, Windows 10 installed.

Every time i connect to an external monitor with HDMI-VGA adapter with the lid of the laptop closed, it sometimes randomly freezes. The screen, keyboard, etc. completely frozen. Sometimes even freezes in-game. To unfreeze, i need to open and close the lid or unplug and plugin the AC adapter again. If i use the laptop without the external monitor or with the lid opened, it does not freeze. This is a very strange seldom behavior. I've been trying to screen the problem to see where this comes from, but without any success. I am not sure its a NVIDIA problem, windows problem, etc. It passes all the Dell tests. no hardware problems that the tests cover. 

Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

Thank you.

Cheers.

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

October 6th, 2018 11:00

I had a similar issue when I booted my 17 R3 with an external monitor plugged in the HDMI port. It was due to a conflict between the Intel and Nvidia graphic card that locked up the system. So a hard shut down was required. I haven't tried it for some time since I now use a dock with HDMI. But I think it is resolved after the new Intel and Nvidia driver updates.

2 Posts

October 12th, 2018 15:00

All my drivers are up to date. The only difference i notice after doing some updates is that it freezes less in-game or even none and more with regular applications and browsing. This is extremely irritating.

February 12th, 2019 20:00

Same issue....If I open case and close again...it unfreezes...very strange...

February 19th, 2019 19:00

I'm also having the same issue. Has anyone else found a solution?

2 Posts

April 28th, 2019 13:00

I have exact same problem. Any fixes so far? 

14 Posts

October 11th, 2020 15:00

Same problem here.. only happens on idle.

Even gaming @ 1440 ultra is completely fine.

No Events found!