sdfonechan
1 Nickel

15 R3, network problems after uninstalling McAfee Livesafe

Hi there, 

New Alienware 15 r3 owner, upgraded from an old 2012 M17x r4. 

Have been loving the experience until I decided to uninstall McAfee Livesafe to replace it with an existing subscription of another AV suite. I've hit a snag. Upon uninstalling McAfee, I seem to get problems when trying to visit certain sites with HTTPS and trying to run some apps that access the internet.

For example, OneDrive has issues signing in and IE / MS edge reports inet_e_download_failure errors and Chrome and Firefox report ssl_error_bad_mac_alert errors.

I've tried turning off defender firewall rules as well but it doesn't seem to fix the error (and adding specific rules too). 

I've boiled it down to the uninstall of McAfee being the catalyst after many hours. 

The router config is good and sites all work fine as they work with other devices on my network. Yes, I realise that a clean install of windows (not using Dell's recovery image) will work but there has got to be a simpler solution.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Kiname
1 Copper

Re: Network problems after uninstalling McAfee Livesafe on Alienware 15r3

Yes I had the same problem but I was not able to find a solution, and fresh install is not a good idea, actual image for W10 from MS doesnt see the internal SSD only HDD

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @sdfonechan!

We recommend a Windows re installation in this case. You can use the recovery image, it should still fix the problem. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Tammy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Kiname
1 Copper

Yes, it's true but doing that you will have McAfee installed again.

0 Kudos
Ericr124
1 Nickel

never reinstall the operating system just because you uninstalled anti-virus program,

if your using Windows 10 your issue is not the uninstalling of mc fee live,

the issue is Microsoft it self all the world servers since April 27th have been updating to be compatible with Windows 10 version 1803 build 17134.1 and this includes email servers and cloud databases.

Some end users are still having issues with login to one drive and email services as a result of the upgrade.

0 Kudos
Kiname
1 Copper

Re: Network problems after uninstalling McAfee Livesafe on Alienware 15r3 -SOLVED!

Ok SOLVED!

Uninstall everything from McAfee, Uninstall Killer drivers, Install Killer drivers.

This work for me, now free of McAfee.

0 Kudos
bebuch
1 Copper

Re: Network problems after uninstalling McAfee Livesafe on A

Are you kidding me?! A reinstall because of a networking issue?

If this is your support I won't buy a Dell anymore!

I have the same problem. It affects the WiFi connetion only but in all browsers Firefox, Chrome and Egde. (Ethernet connection works fine.) I uninstalled McAfee and updated all system component to the current version. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Killer Driver but it didn't work.

Firefox Request:

Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xm…plication/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, br
Accept-Language: de,en-US;q=0.7,en;q=0.3
Connection: keep-alive
Cookie: LithiumVisitor=~24OzJQq7LTinSE…ZEB0pT0qHh1+oIX9GNyZR8sZrZA==
DNT: 1
Host: www.dell.com
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; …) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0

No respone, Firefox gives me a SSL_ERROR_BAD_MAC_ALERT. (Similar with Chrome and Edge.)

So it is not a problem with a server. This error seams to appear always when I try to send data via an HTTPS connection. (No matter if via GET or POST.)

Also Windows Update don't work over WiFi, I suppose its the same problem.

Please try to reporduce the problem by:

- Take an Alienware 13 R3 laptop

- Connect to a WLAN with internet access

- uninstall McAfee

- (install Chrome or Firefox)

Open Chrome, Firefox or Edge and load:

https://www.dell.com/community/forums/replypage/board-id/Alienware-laptops/message-id/13719

0 Kudos
55555JJ
1 Copper

Yes, I just did the same thing.  Now what?

0 Kudos