turbrojewk
1 Nickel

15 R3, troubles with AW988 Headset

My wireless gaming headset worked fine with the Alienware Headset Center on my R3 up until a couple weeks ago when I attempted to also use the Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard as well (I had tried to download the newest version of Alienware Command Center[5.17] to control the keyboard's lights).  My lighting settings on my headset were turned off, and now the headset will not "initiate" properly in the headset center application.  I tried uninstalling the Headset Center as well as the new version of the Command Center (5.17), and now I cannot seem to reinstall the Headset Center, from the headset's dongle or Dell's website. I've tried installing the new headset driver from dell's website, but it's meant to be controlled with the newest Control Center version -which apparently is incompatible with my laptop?? I cannot find just the normal Alienware Headset Center software anywhere. So now I can't change anything but the volume on my headset! Have I deleted everything I shouldn't have??

0 Kudos
11 Replies

Re: Alienware 15 -R3 troubles with AW988 Headset

Hi @turbrojewk,

As of today, unfortunately the new Command Center and the headset software will not work at the same time. We're expecting future updates that will allow full functionality of all features through Command Center.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
turbrojewk
1 Nickel

Yes, that makes sense. But I cannot find the software for the Headset Center anywhere. Not on Dell's website, nor when I plug the dongle back in. So I can't control my headset whatsoever, even when I'm not using the new Command Center...because I deleted and wanted to reinstall the headset center, thinking there was something which maybe needed a fresh install to repair. Is there a surefire way for me to reinstall the Headset Center application?

0 Kudos

@turbrojewk,

Check this.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
turbrojewk
1 Nickel

I wish that would be the solution I'm looking for. I've looked in the driver search on Dell's website over and over.  There is no longer an Alienware Headset Center program to be found anywhere. Every time I search it comes up with no results. Even in the drivers and downloads section for the Wireless Gaming Headset item itself, there is no file for the Alienware Headset Center - only for the new version of Command Center and for a driver which allows the Command Center to control the headset...No issue, right? Just use Command Center? If only it were that easy. My computer is 2 years old and isn't able to support the new Command Center, so I specifically need Alienware Headset Center software running on my computer.  However, there may be an easy solution and I'm just not savvy enough to figure this part out.  In my program files, I have a folder that says "AWHeadsetCenter" and a folder that says "AWHeadset" but I can't seem to get the application to run, even after selecting "run as administrator" on every file that is an application type file.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
turbrojewk
1 Nickel

It seems I'm not the only person with this problem.  Others seem to think that Dell itself has pulled the software for Alienware Headset Center in favor of incorporating it with the newest versions of Command Center...Which, for someone with even a 2 year old Alienware model, is incompatible for integrating all of the Alienware peripherals...This reddit post confirms that this is a problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/a5nz1z/where_can_i_download_alienware_headset_center/

As someone with possibly more influence here, could a moderator or support crew find a way to possibly retrieve the old AWHeadset Center software and get it back on Dell's drivers pages??? Otherwise, anyone without a brand new computer just spent $200 on a headset that you can't control RGB function of nor even the equalizers that the software used to allow for....They're just headphones at this point. Absolutely bonkers

WaykoGT
1 Copper

I have exactly the same problem, have a 2year old R3 laptop and buy for two days AW988 but they wont work, only with plugged cable in Smiley Sad(((
0 Kudos
joe_catalfano
1 Copper

I ask not out of impatience but, rather for my understanding.

When will the software update (AW988 Headset compatibility fix) be available for distribution?

Thank you in advance for your reply. Have a good day.

Joe -

Proud owner of a Dell Alienware 15 R3.

0 Kudos
WaykoGT
1 Copper

My AW988 Headset is now working. I have unistaled the old AW Command Center and disabled AW SoundCenter.

Instaled the new Command Center and new AW988 driver (02 jan.2019) and it works. 

I hope it helps you too.

0 Kudos
DamienJD29
1 Copper

How do you disable AW SoundCenter? Thank you.
0 Kudos