Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 8th, 2018 09:00

15 R4, USB Type-C problem

Hi,

I have a problem with some USB-C devices with Windows 10 Pro.
After having inserted some devices in the usb-c port to the left of the laptop, the program Alienware TypeC Accessory opens saying "this type-c port only support USB 3.0 and other legacy USB functionality".
I did some tests with a 2.5-inch external HDD Westerndigital 4Tb USB 3 and after connecting it appears that message and opens the disk, I use it for about 4-5 seconds and then turn off ALL the USB ports and restart .
If I connect that disk via USB type A it works perfectly.

I tried to update all the drivers, through Driver Easy and Intel site, are the latest versions and I can not solve the problem.

I have already disabled the energy saving of usb ports but nothing.

Someone have solutions for fix this?

Thanks.

1 Message

July 7th, 2021 22:00

(SOLUTION) So my mistake was I got ahead of myself and installed the software to my usb c device first.. what you need to do is uninstall everything your trying to install for the external device… start fresh and before you power on the external device your trying to connect, just connect it to the PC and THEN power on (USE THE C PORT IN THE BACK, NOT THE SIDE). You’ll get a little notification asking if you want this device to always have permission to use this port and then DONE. Now you can download the software for your device and your good. This took me forever to find out man but I hope it saves some lucky people, bless!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 8th, 2018 14:00

Hi @spyrotsk,

Make sure the BIOS is up to date. 

Also, reinstall<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>driver.

6 Posts

August 8th, 2018 15:00

Already installed the last bios and I've already tried to reinstall the TypeC accessory.

Nothing has been solved.

6 Posts

August 17th, 2018 15:00

I still have problems!
no other suggestions?

1 Message

September 2nd, 2018 15:00

edit

6 Posts

September 2nd, 2018 15:00

Nothing? I want send back this laptop in warranty because I need of Usb C.

14 Posts

September 2nd, 2018 18:00

6 Posts

September 3rd, 2018 00:00

No.
This software is already installed but it's just a compatibility warning (it's that only supports USB 3.0 in 2018)
However it does not solve the problem of switching off and restarting the connected device.

1 Message

February 4th, 2019 15:00

I am also having the same issue

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 4th, 2019 18:00

@spyrotsk wrote:

No.
This software is already installed but it's just a compatibility warning (it's that only supports USB 3.0 in 2018)
However it does not solve the problem of switching off and restarting the connected device.

According to the Setup and Specifications document for this system available on support.dell.com, that port supports Thunderbolt 3, but even when used with regular USB-C devices, that port is supposed to support USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) and DisplayPort Alt Mode, so an error indicating that it only supports USB 3.0 definitely suggests an issue, possibly hardware or firmware.  Hopefully you get/got it resolved.  (Although in fairness, an external hard drive won't take advantage of USB 3.1 Gen 2 speeds compared to 3.1 Gen 1 anyway.  Even an SSD would barely use the extra throughput since the SSD would be limited to its internal SATA 6 Gbps interface anyway.  An NVMe SSD could take advantage of the extra speed and actually become bottlenecked even by Gen 2 speeds, but NVMe to USB adapters/enclosures are still in their infancy.  The few products on the market are coming from no-name brands and have very mixed reviews.)

1 Message

February 6th, 2019 07:00

Spyrotsk - was this issue ever resolved for you? I have the same problem.

1 Message

March 1st, 2019 19:00

i have an 15r3 and i am getting really slow speeds with a drobo usb-c i use to get 400mbs but since oct its been slow, really Drobo have even sent me a new drive with no luck so fare 

March 11th, 2019 07:00

Hello everyone,

I have Alienware 17 R5 and I am experiencing the same issue with my USB type-C.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

It looks to me like a firmware problem since it is identical across different models.

Are there any dell representatives reading this topic who can comment on the matter?

Thank you.

March 21st, 2019 02:00

nvm still have issue

6 Posts

March 27th, 2019 08:00

no, unfortunately I haven't solved it yet and I honestly won't buy Dell anymore or for my company, given the poor support.

No Events found!