spyrotsk
1 Nickel

15 R4, USB Type C problem

Hi,

I have a problem with some USB-C devices with Windows 10 Pro.
After having inserted some devices in the usb-c port to the left of the laptop, the program Alienware TypeC Accessory opens saying "this type-c port only support USB 3.0 and other legacy USB functionality".
I did some tests with a 2.5-inch external HDD Westerndigital 4Tb USB 3 and after connecting it appears that message and opens the disk, I use it for about 4-5 seconds and then turn off ALL the USB ports and restart .
If I connect that disk via USB type A it works perfectly.

I tried to update all the drivers, through Driver Easy and Intel site, are the latest versions and I can not solve the problem.

I have already disabled the energy saving of usb ports but nothing.

Someone have solutions for fix this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 Replies

Re: Dell Alienware 15 R4 usb type C problem

Hi @spyrotsk,

Make sure the BIOS is up to date. 

Also, reinstall this driver.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
spyrotsk
1 Nickel

Already installed the last bios and I've already tried to reinstall the TypeC accessory.

Nothing has been solved.

0 Kudos
spyrotsk
1 Nickel

I still have problems!
no other suggestions?

0 Kudos
spyromw
1 Copper

edit

0 Kudos
spyrotsk
1 Nickel

Nothing? I want send back this laptop in warranty because I need of Usb C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
obzerving
1 Nickel

0 Kudos
spyrotsk
1 Nickel

No.
This software is already installed but it's just a compatibility warning (it's <profanity> that only supports USB 3.0 in 2018)
However it does not solve the problem of switching off and restarting the connected device.

0 Kudos
FlavFilth
1 Copper

I am also having the same issue

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

@spyrotsk wrote:

No.
This software is already installed but it's just a compatibility warning (it's <profanity> that only supports USB 3.0 in 2018)
However it does not solve the problem of switching off and restarting the connected device.

According to the Setup and Specifications document for this system available on support.dell.com, that port supports Thunderbolt 3, but even when used with regular USB-C devices, that port is supposed to support USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) and DisplayPort Alt Mode, so an error indicating that it only supports USB 3.0 definitely suggests an issue, possibly hardware or firmware.  Hopefully you get/got it resolved.  (Although in fairness, an external hard drive won't take advantage of USB 3.1 Gen 2 speeds compared to 3.1 Gen 1 anyway.  Even an SSD would barely use the extra throughput since the SSD would be limited to its internal SATA 6 Gbps interface anyway.  An NVMe SSD could take advantage of the extra speed and actually become bottlenecked even by Gen 2 speeds, but NVMe to USB adapters/enclosures are still in their infancy.  The few products on the market are coming from no-name brands and have very mixed reviews.)

0 Kudos