Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

5 Posts

September 13th, 2020 15:00

17 R3, died overnight

Hello i was running a resource heavy application overnight for a project and in the morning the laptop was off. Will not turn on. It was past warranty so I had the battery replaced, it did need a new battery as it would drain away within 20min but this was not the solution to my current problem. I do 3d modeling and game design with unreal engine as well as teach a class so I need to try to fix this before buying a new computer. Thank you in advance for your help.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

September 15th, 2020 04:00

Hi @Alienware_user1981  wow, the 17 R3 does not work al all! There is no sign of any life. 

Try disconnecting the main battery cable (you do not have to remove the battery). Plug the ac adaptor in and try to start the 17 R3. This checks that your new main battery is acknowledged by the 17 R3 system and checks that your charger works. 

Try the Dell Computer Does Not Start - Interactive Support Agent. 

Look at Top Solutions for your Alienware System

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

September 15th, 2020 11:00

Disconnect the battery from the back panel and then I’d recommend plugging the ac adapter in so it doesn’t charge the battery but the motherboard so you can verify the battery is the issue and it can turn on.

if it doesn’t then I’d recommend disconnecting the cmos battery for 5 minutes and then replugging it in.

Good job for teaching kids about unreal engine and computers!

September 15th, 2020 16:00

As I followed your directions I noticed that the dc_in connector is.... burnt haha I wish I could load a picture of it. I disconnected the battery connector and plugged in the power cord and nothing. So possibly I need this new connector and hope there isn't further damage to the board. Any other suggestions? Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

September 15th, 2020 17:00

September 15th, 2020 17:00

Thank you for your reply. This did not work I believe I found the culprit. The DC-IN cable is fried totally disintegrated as i disconnected it 

20200915_170614.jpg

 Any clue where I can get a new one?

September 15th, 2020 19:00

Nice, fingers crossed. Appreciate everything

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

September 15th, 2020 19:00

Hi @Alienware_user1981  removing the rear panel to disconnect the main battery cable and having a good look around revealed this problem. Thank you for telling us what is causing the problem and sharing the image. You should remove this cable because it will have eclectically shorted out, which also means that your new (and old) battery power is probably zero. 

Have a look under good light conditions to see if there are any visible alpha numeric identification markings. An internet search for Power Jack Harness Cable for Alienware 17 R3 should reveal the replacement part. Check that your cable identification markings and the replacement cable identification description match before purchase. 

Yes, you should look to see if there is any other damage. Hopefully the damage is confined to this cable. If everything checks out, you are ready to install a main battery that has been charged. As the warranty has run out, you may decide to see if the 17 R3 will start. This will reveal if there are any other problems to fix. Please keep in touch with an update. Thank you. 

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

September 16th, 2020 13:00

You’re welcome dude.

September 20th, 2020 15:00

Well the new part arrived and I installed it. No success. There was no sign of further damage, ie discoloration or melting anywhere on both sides of the circuit board. The power button doesn't even light up like it should if battery was charging and its a new battery I assume it only has a 50% charge. I even put the old battery back in just to try everything. Someone suggested the cmos battery, i could agree that it should be changed just due to the age of the machine but I feel its more. What do you think I should try now? New PC? Lol..

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

September 20th, 2020 16:00

Hi @Alienware_user1981  getting the replacement part is good, even though it has not got your 17 R3 working at the moment. You have undertaken a visual inspection and everything looks good. You have paid special attention to the new cable's plug and socket connections and removed any carbon debris. Spend a few cents and replace the CMOS coin batteryYour original and new main battery are unlikely to have any power, so the 17 R3 will appear to be dead.

We now start to diagnose afresh. Disconnect the main battery cable (without removing the battery).

Plug in the charger into the ac mains, does the charger light come on and what is its colour? If charger appears to be OK, switch off at mains, plug it into the laptop, switch the charger on. Does the charger light come on and what is its colour.

If charger function ok, switch on the laptop to check that the new part is working and that there are no problems with getting power from the ac mains as shown by the charger lights. Does the laptop show any signs of life as POST cycles through your hardware (checking that hardware is present and functioning)? Does the laptop give any diagnostic beeps or flashing light code from the on/off switch?

Please post an update to share your diagnostic results. 

Try the Dell Computer Does Not Start - Interactive Support Agent

Look at Top Solutions for your Alienware System

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

September 21st, 2020 07:00

Some people have gotten lucky with the A C power adapter only when they try to turn their systems on like @crimsom crimsom said.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

September 21st, 2020 13:00

Hi @Alienware_user1981  if your charger appears to be dead, remember to check if its ac power cord has a fuse that might have blown. 

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

September 21st, 2020 15:00

That could be a cause!

186 Posts

September 22nd, 2020 19:00

You can try to reinstall the system.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

September 23rd, 2020 12:00

But he can’t if the unit doesn’t turn on in the first place.

No Events found!