a1110
1 Nickel

17 R4, AlienFX does not work after update to windows 10 1803

I managed to update my Alienware 17 R4 to windows spring creators update 1803! The system is certified compatible by Dell.

The AlienFX module of the Command Center (ver 4.7.10) no longer changes the lights. It comes up with an error message

"The was an error while AlenFX Controller was communicating with the computer. This might have been caused due to a problem with the hardware" etc.

Searching around I saw similar issues in 17 R4 earlier this year. And the solutions were to re-install Command Center, or to check for USB devices with problems. None of these helped.

Any ideas Dell?

21 Replies

Re: AlienFX does not work after update to windows 10 1803 (Alienware 17 R4)

Hi @a1110!

Please run the AlienFX tester, you can follow the steps on this link to run the test. 

Let us know if the lights do not respond to the colors. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Tammy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
a1110
1 Nickel

The AlienFX tester shows "no board"

ALENFXTESTER1.png

0 Kudos

Ok so what we are going to do is uninstall the current Alienware Command Center. Follow the steps on this video for a clean install, and download and install this command center version: http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER04029141M/2/App_DT_AWCC4.7.9.0_W10_Setup_VRJVV_ZPE.exe

Let me know if it works! 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Tammy
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
a1110
1 Nickel

I uninstalled AWCC 4.7.10 using the directions in How to Remove and Reinstall the Alienware Command Center, and installed the AWCC 4.7.9 from the link provided. So now

• AWCC 4.7.9
  • Graphics Amplifier 3.0.13
  • BIOS 1.2.4

As before the lights stay on at the last profile used (UltraViolet), and the AlienwareAlienFXTester reports "no board detected".

0 Kudos
a1110
1 Nickel

Followed directions and uninstalled AWCC 4.7.10 to install 4.7.9 provided. No change. Lights are still stuck at the last profile used, and AlienWareAlenFXTester reports "no board", the screen capture looks the same as above.

0 Kudos

Please send me your Service Tag on a PM so we can look further into this. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Tammy
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
erpster05
2 Iron

the folks at Dell should read this Microsoft forum topic about the 1803 update problem on certain hybrid laptops 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/hybrid-laptops-with-dis...

that includes Alienware 17 R4

0 Kudos
ishaan-dali
1 Copper

Same problem here, Any Solution ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
a1110
1 Nickel

No solution yet. Waiting on Dell service for a solution.

0 Kudos