Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2 Posts

June 13th, 2020 17:00

17 R4, Zoom meeting camera freezing after 20 minutes

Hi there, 

My 17 R4 Alienware laptop runs a Zoom meeting fine for 20 minutes and then the camera freezes. Everything else continues just fine. This behavior is reproducible. How can I fix this? Thanks for some ideas! 

July 11th, 2020 15:00

I'm having the same or similar problem.  Both Zoom & Skype.  The camera freezes, but if you move the mouse it unfreezes for a few seconds and then refreezes.  Eventually this quits working.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 11th, 2020 20:00

It’s a application error.

try using the regular camera app and check if after 20 min it freezes as well.

July 12th, 2020 12:00

Actually, Camera freezes after about 20 minutes. I didn't time it exactly. Then I used an exterior USB attached camera with the app "Camera" for over an hour -- no freezes. Yes, I've checked to ensure my drivers and BIOS are up to date. 

It's either a driver problem or a hardware problem. Three different applications (Zoom, Skype, Camera) all exhibit the same issue with the built-in camera.

2 Posts

July 12th, 2020 19:00

Thanks for those experiments, this is a very scientific approach! 

It helped/inspired  me think about it again. I just uninstalled the "integrated webcam" in the device manager (go to imaging devices) and then rebooted the laptop which give this a fresh install. My drivers were all up to date, checked that before the uninstall. Now the camera seems to work just fine and does not freeze anymore. I tried with Zoom, 50 minutes into it and all works very well. Maybe this problem is solved, yay!

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 13th, 2020 03:00

Great!

Im sorry for not thinking it was a driver error. I should’ve said a more detailed explanation on what it was.

Since the application was freezing as well as the camera app built into Windows 10, it either had to be a Driver conflicting with the Integrated webcam preventing it from working Every time on Zoom or The Camera app.

Happy your issue got fixed,

No Events found!