Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 26th, 2018 23:00

17 R4, lockups, #2

Mouse pointer freezes and keyboard is non-responsive (including caps lock light toggle).

Switching the power source from adapter to battery or vice versa recovers it (thank goodness).

Closing the lid to trigger sleep works as well.

March 2nd, 2021 19:00

For the record, problem was solved years ago by installing a later version of Windows 10. It was software all along.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 27th, 2018 10:00

Hi @Captain Keppel,

Try running an ePSA/Diagnostic test on the system, click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run this test. Let us know if you receive any errors. 

Also, make sure the BIOS is up to date.

Finally, open power options and make sure it is on High Performance. 

July 1st, 2018 01:00

Ran the ePSA diagnostic which completed without error.

BIOS version is 1.2.4

Underlying Power plan is Balanced which is the only one which exists.  System tray power icon setting (plugged in) is "Better Performance".  I will try "Best Performance", but I can't see why this should matter.  Can you explain the significance of this?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 5th, 2018 11:00

You can try a power drain: unplug system from any external device (including AC Adapter); open the bottom cover and disconnect the battery cable. Then hold the power button for around a minute to drain all the power out. 

You can use this video to see how to disconnect the battery cable.

If the issues persists after this, please send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can assist you further. 

December 18th, 2018 17:00

I have sent you a PM with the service tag
No Events found!