Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

6 Posts

December 15th, 2018 00:00

17 R4, motherboard short circuit

Hey DELL

My Alienware laptop has short circuited.  Just a few months past my 1 year warranty.  I guess since I didn't have the resources available to pay 300 dollars for a warranty extension I get to be out 1700 dollars now.  When I first bought the laptop it suffered a crash and a Dell Technician had to bring a bootable USB with OS on it to get it working again.  Then half a day with dell remote access to get it running.  After all that it seemed to be working ok.  However just over a year later it appears it has suffered from some sort of hardware problem on the motherboard.  After diagnosing the issues I have found that the mother board most likely suffered a short circuit.  I feel like this laptop has been a lemon since it was purchased.  So my next question is how can you help me?  Because this is really disappointing.  I was excited to purchase this product and now all this has happened.  I understand sometimes products have issues, but I purchased this item brand new from your site.  And it has suffered a complete failure not even two years into its life span.  Is this the standard for this model?  Should everyone buying these models expect this result?  Should they be buying 3 to 5 year warranties and extending them as long as possible?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 15th, 2018 04:00

How do you know it is a short on the motherboard? What type of error or symptom are you seeing on the system? What happened prior to the failure..any warnings, errors, BSOD, etc?

6 Posts

December 15th, 2018 06:00

No pre warning or indicators.  I powered my system down the night before and everything was working as usual.  I always disconnect the ac adapter from the laptop and then from the outlet.  When I woke in the morning and the laptop wouldn't start with battery power I connected the ac adapter and the led indicator light switched off.  I disconnected it from the laptop and cycled it (unplugged from the outlet and plugged it back in).  Then when I connected it to the laptop the led switched off again as it may be activating a fail safe when a short circuit is detected.  I tried with another ac adapter and got the same results.  After reading about some similar issues it sighted the main culprit as a short circuit.  While it may not be the motherboard as of yet it is indicated as the most likely problem.  Thank you for your reply.  I appreciate your help and any suggestions.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 15th, 2018 07:00

Unfortunately it could be the motherboard as that problem has been mentioned in the past. One could hope it is the battery causing the problem though. Have you tried disconnecting the battery and unplugging the adapter then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Then reconnect everything and try again. If that fails, call Dell tech support in your region and they can diagnose the problem and if there is a charge, will give you a quote for repairs.

6 Posts

December 15th, 2018 11:00

Final conclusion on my situation.  Replacement parts are an option, however the price for a new motherboard for the Alienware 17R4 is around $1400.00 just a few hundred short of what I paid for the product to begin with.  And I don't believe that includes the i7 7700k processor which most likely was damaged if the motherboard short circuited.  Unfortunately it appears that I am out on this computer as I no longer have a warranty with dell support.  I should have spent the $300.00 to extend the warranty but financial issues didn't allow me that opportunity.  The laptop worked well for just slightly over a year before this happened.  My suggestion to anyone looking to purchase an Alienware 17R4 is to be aware that you may lose your motherboard in a short period of time, and to consider that on top of what you are paying for the system it will be a necessity to purchase an extra $300-$500 dollar warranty and include that in your budget for the system.  For myself personally I will not be spending the money to buy or replace the motherboard as I don't have faith that a new motherboard simply won't suffer the same fate sooner or later.  And at the prices I would be spending it is not feasible to maintain.  I am fairly certain that DELL won't be willing to help with my situation as far as good faith replacement as the warranty is expired (I could be wrong).  I was planning on purchasing the Area 51 alienware tower this spring however at this point I don't think I am willing to take the risk, warranty or no warranty.  And in final conclusion for myself personally I believe I will be avoiding DELL products all together. Hopefully you find this information useful if you are reading this and let me know if you had similar problems or even your thoughts on this.  If DELL reaches out to me I will update you with a post here.  Thank you.

6 Posts

December 15th, 2018 11:00

I went ahead and tried your suggestions but unfortunately it didn't yield any results.  So I carried on by disconnecting hardware one at a time and trying the the ac adapter after each disconnect to see if the short was related to something else eventually reaching only the mother board.  I am fairly certain the motherboard is gone at this point.  Thank you and I appreciate the help and suggestions.

1 Message

May 26th, 2019 20:00

Today I just suffered the same exact problem, my Warranty just expired I think 2 months ago, I could not pay to extend the warranty at the moment. Yesterday it was working fine and today it has the same behavior as you described above.

I feel so disappointed since my Alienware from the beginning started with a Lack of performance and overheating issues.

I will avoid buying now dell products and start giving my feedback to anyone that wants to get a Dell computer.

It's quite weird that after the warranty expires this happens 

August 20th, 2019 16:00

Hi, I just want to mention that the same issue happened to me and just after 3 months of warranty expiry. Anyway I took it to a Dell dealer to check and fix the issue and they confirmed that it was a short in the motherboard. And the cost of repairing it was around 280 USD.

Hopefully the issue will not repeat itself and could be well.

Dell’s Alienware laptop were my favorite laptops and this was my second Alienware since 2012. The first one is still operational and works perfectly, but the 2017 Alienware 17 r4 only completed 1 year and 3 months before it this issue.

August 24th, 2019 19:00

Hi guys, same problem here... after 2 weeks of 1 Year and 5 mainboard replacement and 2 alienware 17r4 replacement... 

6 Posts

April 7th, 2020 10:00

Same here. I'm on my 12th service. I just had my logic board replaced for the 7th time I believe and I'm on my refurbished model now. 

April 14th, 2020 06:00

Same problem for me, exactly as described above. But with Alienware 15 R3.

Here is my post about it : https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/Alienware-15-r3-dead-shot-circuit-when-plugging-in-AC-adapter/m-p/7527501#M27779

7 Posts

April 22nd, 2020 09:00

Same problem here with the 15 R3

I think it's a problem with this model overall that it has some components fails and shorts somehow.

I got to a local repair shop he tried to change the mosfets that seemed to be shorted but still not working. He said the processor is fried

That is not my first problem with dell or with that specific laptop either I had several problems with overheating since I got it. I don't think I will ever buy or recomend a dell product anymore.

1 Message

May 8th, 2020 09:00

Same here, only help from Dell was " give us more money"

No Events found!