Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

6 Posts

May 19th, 2019 08:00

17 R4, plugged in, not charging, #3

Currently having an issue where my Alienware 17 R4 is plugged in but not charging. Has anyone found a solution for this yet? I've read a lot of posts about but havent seen a fix other than spending more money on a new charger to have the same issue continue.

Please help! We paid a lot of money for this gaming laptops, and I have been a huge advocate for them until now. Dell needs to own up to these faulty issues.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 19th, 2019 08:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Durkodur 

First thing would be to make sure to Update your Chipset Drivers then your BIOS.

A few where updated "May 15/16 2019"

Driver & Download Support for Alienware 17 R4

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/alienware-17-laptop/drivers

One may have a fix for your problem???

Test and post back with any results.

Best regards,

U2

6 Posts

May 19th, 2019 09:00

Hello,

I just updated all my drivers, and the issue is still occurring. Super frustrating. I wish Dell would actually do their jobs, and help us out. I've seen a handful of posts about this issue.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 19th, 2019 09:00

@Durkodur 

Next right click on "Start" then "Device Manager"

Click the “Batteries” section and a list of devices will appear.

Right-click the “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery” device and click “Uninstall.”

Reboot the system and allow Windows to install the driver.

Regards,

U2

May 19th, 2019 13:00

Its probably the battery and not the charger. mine too.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 19th, 2019 13:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @crimpson11 

That is the next step, waiting to hear back from @Durkodur 

Just want to make sure so they don't have to spend any more money!!!

Best regards,

U2

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 20th, 2019 08:00

Hi @Durkodur

Make sure the BIOS is up to date.

You can also try a power drain: unplug every external device from the system (including the AC Adapter), then open the bottom cover and disconnect the battery cable. Then, press and hold the power button for about a minute to drain all the power.

9 Posts

May 23rd, 2019 15:00

same issue here second charger i purchase both are not working **bleep** you dell i will not buy dell anymore.

20 Posts

May 25th, 2019 19:00

Same issue here on Alienware 15.  Replaced battery with new OEM battery AND an Alienware labeled reconditioned battery, no fix.  Replaced power supply with new 240W, no fix.  Replaced DC connector on motherboard, no fix.  Installed Windows 10 replacing Windows 7, no fix.  Updated BIOS to latest, no fix.  Reinstalled ACPI battery controls, no fix.  Disconnected battery and held power button 60 seconds, no fix.  Re-pasted CPU and GPU chips, no fix.  Computer does NOT run hot but when it stops charging while plugged in it throttles the GPU making most games unplayable.  I've tried throttle stop and locking frame rates in overclock software, no fix.  I believe if someone could enable an older ACPI driver it might fix this.  My Alienware M11 and M14 do not do this.  This will be the last gaming laptop I purchase.

9 Posts

May 25th, 2019 20:00

lol hhhhhh same here , but you still not test something , try test 330w charger that last thing i still not test it

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

May 28th, 2019 17:00

@Durkodur 

Did you replace your battery???

Regards,

U2

6 Posts

I'm so sorry you've gone through all that. It does not give me hope for this issue though. I've loved this laptop, and it saddens me to have to seek other gaming PCs but, I never want to have to run into this again.

6 Posts

My laptop is still currently having this same issue. I've tried everything and anything. Unfortunately I've resulted into seeking other gaming PC that are not Dell. I've had this brand new Alienware Laptop for less than 3 years, as much as I would like to think this will be resolved by Dell, it never will. That's not how their customer service works. I appreciate your time and efforts, they were not in vein but I think the real solution here, is to not own an Alienware or Dell product.

Thanks again.

6 Posts

May 28th, 2019 18:00

No I have not. But I already spent a lot of money on this laptop, I don't feel like chasing "what if" options and spending more money along the way. I feel like if anything, this is an KNOWN issue with a lot of laptop currently and Dell should own up to it. They should hold themselves accountable and fix it.

105 Posts

May 28th, 2019 20:00

The multimeter checks if the output voltage and current of the power adapter match the marked ones.
If the gap is very large, or there is no output voltage, and the voltage is normal, you can judge that the power adapter is faulty.
The notebook power adapter needs to be replaced.
If the above checks are normal, remove the laptop battery and do not connect the adapter.
Press and hold the notebook power button for 5 seconds to repeat 3 times. After releasing the residual charge of the notebook,
Insert the power adapter separately, power on the test and check the power interface of the notebook.
For example, loose or damaged appearance.
If the above checks are normal, basically it can be judged that the notebook motherboard is faulty. It is recommended to send the service station.

November 7th, 2019 20:00

Alienware M17X R4 plugged in not charging - power supply not recognized

I noticed that some time ago that Alienware-Naomi was helping a guy out with similar issues to my laptop.

Of particular significance was her saying "BIOS A13 is for Windows 8.1 and BIOS A12 is for Windows 7 and Windows 8"'.

Mine is on A12 but I've recently upgraded to Windows 10. I have A13, A14 and A15 BIOSs downloaded but I can't flash those because i get a warning saying that I must have a battery installed and charger working to flash the BIOS!!

Am I expected to go back to Windows 7, flash the A13, A14 or A15 BIOS then upgrade to windows 10 again???

Please offer me some help!!

Thanks,

Mark

No Events found!