Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

M

6 Posts

November 20th, 2018 09:00

17 R4, plugged in, not charging, #4

Like so many others, my Alienware can't seem to charge itself, even though it's using all of the equipment it came with. The bios detects the AC adapter just fine and claims that the battery is operating normally but if i allow the battery to drain at all (you know, like using a portable computing device without an outlet...like they were designed for) windows reports that the ac adapter is plugged in, not charging. 

This is ridiculous. a "top end" laptop shouldn't have this sort of issue. the best part is that it only presented itself shortly after I went out of warranty, so, from a hardware stand point, I can only assume that any fix is going to require $$. if it is faulty hardware and I do have to come out of pocket for it after only a little over a year of ownership, that will certainly make my next purchase decision easier. 

if anyone has an answer that will fix this clearly known issue, please let me know. it's getting really annoying. 

Thanks.

6 Posts

November 20th, 2018 09:00

well, now it seems that when i reboot im getting an error that the ac adapter is not recognized.... this is great.

1 Message

November 20th, 2018 11:00

I've been having the same issue as well. The laptop was working perfectly fine the other day and then all of a sudden when I started it up it said on the BIOS screen that it can't recognize the AC Power adapter that's plugged in which I have the one that came with the laptop. I've reset my laptop, the whole shut down and turn back on process, a hard shut off and even tried sleep mode but nothing works. I've seen people say you have to replace your battery but I'm looking for a free option and to know my battery isn't broken on a laptop I've had for a little over a year. I've also unplugged the adapter from both ends and there's nothing else plugged into the socket. Would also like an answer soon.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

November 20th, 2018 14:00

Hi @mrpizat@ChristVokill,

Update the BIOS version to the latest.

Also, you can try a power drain: unplug every external device from the system, including the AC Adapter, then open the bottom cover, disconnect the battery cable and hold the power button for around a minute to drain all the power out.

6 Posts

November 21st, 2018 00:00

I don't want to scare you, but end up becoming a fail motherboard. 

6 Posts

November 28th, 2018 14:00

discharged the battery and updated the bios. issue is still present. 

thoughts?

November 29th, 2018 01:00

Time to replace the AC Cable and box. My wife's 15 R2 is having this issue. Luckily I have a back up AC power cable/box from my 15 R3 as the one that came with my unit couldn't supply current to my 15R3 properly. But given the 15 R2 is a 180w unit and this one is a 240w should be more than sufficient.

Check Amazon for yours... Not sure on your 17 R4 specs but if its a 1070 or higher look for a 240w or higher (check your box for its wattage, or check alienware.com parts for a new one and just order one through amazon. Wife's is $56 on amazon, DELL wants $80 for it...)

6 Posts

November 30th, 2018 08:00

I've been using notebook computers for decades and never had an issue with a power block failing (especially with something that's supposed to be as high quality as an alienware). This isn't a wear and tear item and it's only just over a year old. I certainly hope the answer isn't to pay more money for the privledge privilege of using something that has a known defect, especially if it's just going to fail again.

December 2nd, 2018 21:00

Check and see if your brick is manufactured by DELL or by another company. My 15 R3's brick was from another company. Replacement brick they sent me, IS manufactured by Dell themselves. Looking around the internet, says its the brick that's failing.

6 Posts

December 7th, 2018 11:00

Mine is showing Dell on the brick. made in china.

6 Posts

May 19th, 2019 08:00

Oh, I found a solution. Bought a cheap 30 dollar power supply from amazon and vowed to never purchase from Dell/Alienware again. Fortunately, I'm the one everyone I know goes to for electronics purchasing advise, so I'll be able to help many others from making the same mistake I did.

6 Posts

May 19th, 2019 08:00

This is not reassuring. I am having the same exact issues. Has this been resolved for you?? I'm kind of freaking out. Like you said, these are supposed to be top of the line gaming laptops, this is complete that this is happening.

9 Posts

May 23rd, 2019 19:00

same issue here may i know how to fix this 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 24th, 2019 08:00

Hi @neroZzero

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

9 Posts

May 25th, 2019 17:00

nothing work i also try downgrade bois and downgrade nvidia driver and still charger getting so hot while playing games 17R4 1070 gtx i also upgrade my laptop add 2tb hdd ,1tb ssd ,128 ssd 330w charger can fix my problem or not ? and how i can sure my charger is original or not 

44 Posts

May 26th, 2019 23:00

I think we all AW owners should use maps to find the nearest trash can and throw our laptops in. I paid a CAD$2760 for a literally   named m15 and am out of 30 day return policy and have gone thorough 2 as they say "NEW" exchange units all with different issues. Right now, I'm sure that all of you are seeing this page as white but this shows me a yellowish page. With my first m15 I had the error that said that my supplied charger (180w) was not enough and that I need a 280w charger!! Can anyone tell me if they know a company that ships faulty products to customers to just rip them off like what DELL does?

No Events found!