Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

7 Posts

November 12th, 2020 17:00

17 R4, vertical lines, #3

Hello all,

I have an Alienware 17 R4 with the 1080 and the UHD display. I didn't use the laptop for about 6 months and had it stored. I turned it on an noticed some small vertical lines in the display. Sometimes the lines would move, sometimes there would be 2, others 4 etc. 

I did a driver update and restart no luck, did a gpu test, no problems, hooked up an HDMI cable to see if the problem goes onto a new screen, problem does not. I reseated the display cable, no luck, bought a new display cable, no luck. So I was looking to see if it would be the screen. The lines do not seem to move any more when I start computer up. I tried flexing the display to see if I could make new lines or the current ones change, no luck. 

So, now the question is, do I need a new display? I can't make the screen show additional lines any more or other issues. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Sorry for format and all I'm on mobile and putting my baby to sleep while writing.

Thank you 

TJ

7 Posts

November 12th, 2020 18:00

I wanted to update, even though it's only been an hour. I had another display cable show up today and voila... No more lines. 

Should I feel safe and content that was the only issue? 

Thank you. 

TJ

7 Posts

November 12th, 2020 19:00

Ugh!!! 

After getting the computer turned on. I went to download some other updates and the lines are back! 

I'm so lost now. 

7 Posts

November 14th, 2020 07:00

Hello all,

I have an alienware 17 R4 with the 1080 and the UHD display. I didn't use the laptop for about 6 months and had it stored. I turned it on an noticed some small vertical lines in the display. Sometimes the lines would move, sometimes there would be 2, others 4 etc. 

I did a driver update and restart no luck, did a gpu test, no problems, hooked up an HDMI cable to see if the problem goes onto a new screen, problem does not. I reseated the display cable, no luck, bought a new display cable, no luck. So I was looking to see if it would be the screen. The lines do not seem to move any more when I start computer up. I tried flexing the display to see if I could make new lines or the current ones change, no luck. 

-replaced display cable the lines disappeared for a little while and while trying to do updating (nothing installed) they came back. 

So, now the question is, Do I need a new display? I can't make the screen show additional lines any more or other issues. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you 

TJ

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

November 14th, 2020 08:00

Start with a screen diagnostic - hold the D key through powerup.   Does the fault you've described show on the self-test screens?

If it does, the problem is indeed the display panel.  If it doesn't, the problem is either with a driver or the GPU.

7 Posts

November 26th, 2020 13:00

I did a screen diagnostic test and the line showed up. I just turned the computer on again after posting last and no lines... then a program started after startup and the line returned. I uninstalled the suspected program and restarted and the line moved. 

I am suspecting it is a software issue at this point. But the screen diagnostic test does show the line. it's frustrating. 

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

November 26th, 2020 13:00

The built-in self tests runs independently from the operating system installed or the system board.  It requires only power to the backlight from the system.  If you're seeing a line fault during the built in diagnostics, it's either something you'll need to live with or you'll need to replace the LCD panel.

7 Posts

November 26th, 2020 16:00

I figured it was the display, but the puzzling thing about it is that it would go away and come back depending on programs running in the background. Not changing the resolution or anything.
No Events found!