Hstanez
1 Nickel

17 R5, AGA, only works with external screen?

I have an Alienware 17 R5 and recently just purchased an Asus GTX 1080 Ti Turbo. So I have connected the amplifier and installed the latest driver. The laptop detects 3 graphic cards (Intel 630, GTX 1080, and the external GTX 1080 Ti). But the GTX 1080 Ti only works when plugged with an external monitor (direct output from the card). In short, the laptop is still running the internal graphic card when using the laptop screen, despite the amplifier is connected.

0 Kudos
20 Replies

Re: Amplifier's graphic card only works with external screen

Hi @Hstanez,

This is a common question for the 1080Ti. These cards weren't out when the Amplifier was released, therefore it is not 100% compatible with it. Specifically, MSI and ASUS cards tend to show this behavior. Unfortunately, this is the expected behavior for that setup.

Also remember that the driver that must be installed is the laptop's video card driver, not the amplifier's video card driver.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Hstanez
1 Nickel

@Alienware-Eimy My graphic amplifier was able to be detected after I installed the Asus GTX1080Ti Turbo graphic. However, it cannot be recognized after I reinstalled the computer with the Alienware Recovery Mode. I was wondering if there is any fix? (Like a driver update? or a method to reset the settings in the Graphic Amplifier?)

*Since it cannot be detected, I cannot see or change anything from the Alienware Command Center. But the graphic card works when plugged in an external display.

System: Alienware 17 R5 - i9 model
- All drivers and Alienware software are up-to-date
- Installed the Nvidia latest laptop graphic card driver, and the GTX1080ti works (Only with external monitor)
- Amplifier doesn't function as desired/the way it supposed to

0 Kudos

@Hstanez,

As we explained before, using this card on the Amplifier may not show the same results as with other cards. The way it is behaving is to be expected under the config you run. You may try installing the same drivers twice (laptop drivers from Dell.com). However, issues may arise on the installation or use of this card with the Amplifier. We recommend to use a fully supported card such as EVGA or PNY reference cards. Non-overclocked, non-Turbo.

Otherwise, if you wish to continue using this setup, you will be required to go through external monitor.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
TomC69
1 Nickel

Whether or not you use the nvidia laptop or desktop video drivers does not make any difference.  I'm currently using 398.82 desktop with my AGA w/Zotac 1080ti Blower (essentially FE), no problems.  However, you def need an external monitor if you want to get any significant performance improvements imho.  This is with my AW 17r4, i7-7700, gtx1060) btw.

0 Kudos
Daveju
1 Nickel

Hey guys, I'm running the 17 R5 and my 1080ti works fine. I have the Auros. You must disable the internal GPU by going to Device Manager > Display adapters, the right clicking your internal GPU and disabling it. Otherwise you're going to run into issues and performance issues. You must also install the desktop version of the GPU driver for the 1080ti.

TomC69
1 Nickel

Ya, I have heard this before with the newer 17r5 but this is not necessary with my 17r4 w/AGA/1080ti.  Main thing for me is to use an external monitor and avoid projecting to my laptop monitor.  Also, I see that Dell now recommends you use the latest nvidia 398.82 driver on 17r5's.  Actually, I am using this driver (desktop version) on my 17r4, no problems

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dgwolf
1 Nickel

Can i install the laptop driver from nvidia or does it have to be from dell to work with the graphics amp?

0 Kudos
TomC69
1 Nickel

Both will work fine.  Probably best to start off with Dell's latest drivers though.  Just in case you need Dell Support to begin with.  You can always update these later if you want to.

lalitsehgal21
1 Nickel

Have you been able to get this working on default laptop screen?

0 Kudos