lalitsehgal21
1 Nickel

Re: Amplifier's graphic card only works with external screen

This means that once you are done with gaming and wanna carry your laptop ..you need to re-enable gpu and re-install drivers everytime?
0 Kudos
RC8R
1 Copper

Hey guys, I am having this same issue with a Vega 64 Liquid Cooled. The card will only work with an external monitor, otherwise it defaults to the Intel Hd graphics for the internal monitor. I did not have this issue with a RX 570. Very frustrating and makes no sense. So now I am looking at purchasing a monitor, which will give me better performance, but this shouldn't be an issue. Has anybody found any solutions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
19stickboy81
1 Copper

I'm in the same boat. I have an AW 17r5 with i9 8950hk 32gb ram with amp with the "approved rtx 2080 TI from nvidia " and it shows in device manager with the intel and my 1080 but when I play games or anything the internal 1080 GPU takes over. I bought this set up to play ray tracing games but I cant get this dumb thing to work. <Forum Terms of Use violation> They keep saying use an external monitor but you shouldn't have to per their own admission saying in there videos that you can use both an external and the laptops monitor. Shame on you Dell for stealing peoples money and then telling them to spend more on an external screen. Also when I try to disable the 1080 and then play games it throws an error message up and wont even let me try to play off the new card.

0 Kudos
DougalAW
1 Nickel

Do you all have gsync displays in your laptops?
I was under the impression that the AGA would not display on the laptop screen if your laptop had gsync, so in that situation you needed to use an external monitor with the AGA.

0 Kudos
19stickboy81
1 Copper

Yes my 17r5 has gsync. No where on the product pages does it say wont work if you have gsync. They should like they do with the cards is list if your monitor can support it. Again they only put that info out in forums like that or on a help page. And even in the manual it doesn't state wont work if blah blah blah.
0 Kudos
19stickboy81
1 Copper

Also to any Dell workers on this site. <Forum Terms of Use violation>

0 Kudos
DougalAW
1 Nickel

The documentation available for the Graphics Amplifier does look like it could use an update. 

The user manual appears to be from 2014 and only references the Alienware 13, supported systems doesn't list the M15 or M17, and the only mention of GSYNC issues is in a support article that you have to go searching for.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukbsdt1/sln304801/alienware-graphics-amplifier-not-workin...

On there it states you must use an external display.

Mods - is this something that can be updated as this question and problem seems to come up quite often on other forums too.

0 Kudos
19stickboy81
1 Copper

Well I just ordered their 34 inch curved monitor, so it better work when it gets here without a problem. I feel tricked into buying more and more stuff. I'm just waiting for them to say, well now you need to buy our high end desktop rig to hook this up to. lol

0 Kudos
DougalAW
1 Nickel

@19stickboy81  Nice, I've had my eye on that monitor to go with my M15, so very jealous.

Almost willing to bet when you get the monitor, you'll hear a voice saying "I go really nice with a desktop...sooo good..."

0 Kudos
Alienware15r4
1 Copper

did it work with the AGA . I am in the same situation as you are. Let me know if it worked for you

0 Kudos