Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2020 13:00

17 R5, BIOS recovery from 1.11.0 to 1.8.1

Hello, I am trying to recover bios (downgrade from 1.11.0 to 1.8.1)

I followed these links which show similar steps :

1) https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R6-BIOS-stuck-on-recover-BIS-after-a-failed-update/td-p/6234909

2) http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/force-downgrade-alienware-area-51m-bios-or-any-alienware-to-locked-lower-versions.829542/

But on the step where I CTRL+ESC (HOLD)+ POWER ON, I get the code "3 red, 4 blue" which is : 

"Recovery image found but invalid"
and show me to this screen :

BIOS.PNG

My laptop is working fine. I just want to rollback my BIOS back to 1.8.1.

Thanks.

November 20th, 2020 09:00

@Lunetrix 

I successfully downgraded my bios in a hope to get my fx light to work but I failed. I list what I did here and hopefully that will work with you and some others before our Dell Care friends block it (they seem pretty busy with blocking bios downgrade, But no fx light fix!)

Anyway, I will make the steps as clear as possible for others to follow:

1. Prepare 2 flash drives, format them to FAT32 with same name.
  2. From Dell web site download latest bios file in "rcv" format, (they offer that choice for latest version only). Rename it to "BIOS_IMG.rcv" and put it on flash drive 1.
  3. Now download the 1.8 bios exe file, rename it to "BIOS_IMG.exe" and export the hdr file using command as administrator (Command like is ="BIOS_IMG.exe/writehdrfile"). Then rename the hdr file to "BIOS_IMG.rcv" and has it ready on drive 2.
  4. Now shut off the laptop, put flash drive 1 in the left USB port, hold SHEFT+ESC and press power button and wait for 2-5 second then release. Now you should see the recovery page.
  5. Remove Drive 1 and insert Drive 2. and click on recovery (first option). 

Wait until firmware updates and congratulation my friend you successfully downgraded the bios. You may be able to do this with one Drive if you have another computer on the side (I did not try that). I found this after several trials and I am sure it works for now. Dell does not cache the files for bios recovery (which I think they will patch it soon).

If you found this useful let me know. I would also appreciate a little help with my FX light problem, if you have 17 R5 with light working can you please send me the "AFXCapableDevices" keys or dll file (that would be my last try before giving up)

Dr. Nightmare

50 Posts

Yeah, I have tried that too and I think the reason why it's still 1.11.0 it's because it didnt detected the bootable USB (since we skipped the HDR step). It booted to HDD and used the default recovery file which is the current version 1.11.0.

I just tried that today, seems like the R5 do not really like the downgrade. You must have your flash drive formatted as FAT32 first, and it must be on the left port I think (make sure to reset you bios to default settings too). My bios did not accept the rcv file that was created from the hdr. However, it accepted the rcv file just from renaming the exe file. everything went smooth but after it finished the version did not change! 

I see, but when I tried the HDR step the bios reject it as invalid...

November 19th, 2020 21:00

@Lunetrix @BurakYasar @alenvmathew007 

I successfully downgraded my bios in a hope to get my fx light to work but I failed. I list what I did here and hopefully that will work with you and some others before our Dell Care friends block it (they seem pretty busy on making things worst for us lol, like seriously what's wrong with fx light!!!)

Anyway I will make the steps as clear as possible for others to follow:

1. Prepare 2 flash drives, format them to FAT32 with same name.

2. From Dell web site download latest bios file in "rcv" format, (they offer that choice for latest version only). Rename it to "BIOS_IMG.rcv" and put it on flash drive 1.

3. Now download the 1.8 bios exe file, rename it to "BIOS_IMG.exe" and export the hdr file using command as administrator (Command like is ="BIOS_IMG.exe/writehdrfile"). Then rename the hdr file to "BIOS_IMG.rcv" and has it ready on drive 2.

4. Now shut off the laptop, put flash drive 1 in the left USB port, hold SHEFT+ESC and press power button and wait for 2-5 second then release. Now you should see the recovery page.

5. Remove Drive 1 and insert Drive 2. and click on recovery (first option). 

Wait until firmware updates and congratulation my friend you successfully downgraded the bios. You may be able to do this with one Drive if you have another computer on the side (I did not try that). I found this after several trials and I am sure it works for now. Dell does not cache the files for bios recovery (which I think they will patch it soon).

If you found this useful let me know. I would also appreciate a little help with my FX light problem
Dr. Nightmare

50 Posts

November 20th, 2020 11:00

@Dr Nightmare 

That worked well my bios downgraded to 1.8.1!

And yes my FX lights are still working. What file do you exactly needs?

Write me the Path where  I can find theme and PM your email so I can send it to you VIA Email.

November 20th, 2020 12:00

Glad it worked for you, I will PM you what I need.

3 Posts

November 27th, 2020 19:00

hi, i did all steps and downgrade to 1.8.1 without problems but still no undervolting , please help me I do not know what I did wrong. thanks 

50 Posts

November 27th, 2020 19:00

You got to do the solution mentioned in this thread :

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/m15-R1-can-t-undervolt/td-p/7554257

After, you get Undervolt back. Do it at your own risk.

3 Posts

November 29th, 2020 13:00

You performed the procedure on an alienware 15 r4?, it worked for you?, how did you convert the 1.8.1.exe file to .rcv, another question when I enter the efi / dell / bios / recovery partition, I only have the BIOS_CUR.rcv file, you copied the 3 files or just the two missing, thanks

1 Message

December 14th, 2020 11:00

I success downgrade my bios to 1.8.1 based on guides in this thread. but i not recovery the hability for make undervolting after downgrade.  any way to recovery this options?

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

May 14th, 2021 22:00

Same issue, successfully downgraded from 1.12 to 1.8.1 but undervolting not available.

Nothing of this helped:

• Reflash 1.8.1 bios with exe file + bios settings reset
  • Downgrade to 1.7.0 + settings reset
  • Upgrade from 1.7.0 to 1.8.1 + settings reset

Don't know what to do, 8750h without undervolting is really hot

1 Message

May 15th, 2021 08:00

HI

i have problem with fx lights did you fix yours

steve

May 25th, 2021 15:00

Hello there,

does anyone have the RCV-file for "15 R4" for version 1.8.1? (Best would be a fresh dump from the BIOS or a copy from the file from the EFI-partition. So no "EXE-extraction" is involed at all!)

Because the extraction from the EXE to HDR-file does not work for me! (The HDR-file is always smaler than the original RCV-file of the actual BIOS from the DELL-website! I actually wonder why it seems to work for most others, but not for me and the creator of the original post.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

June 25th, 2021 00:00

Found solution how to re-enable undervolting after rolling back to 1.8.1(This solution won't work on 1.12 and 1.11). Thatks to warrior_300(author of the solution) 

Post on reddit with propper commands for alienware

Post on reddit with flash creation guide 

Guide:

1. Format a USB drive to FAT32 on a GUID partition map.

2. Make a folder called EFI in the root of the USB

3. Inside this, make a folder called BOOT

4. Download this file and place it inside BOOT

5. Rename this file to bootx64.efi

6. Boot into the USB drive (spam F12 at the BIOS prompt and select your USB drive)

7. Once this has loaded, enter setup_var_3 0x5BE 0x00 to disable overclocking lock

8. Repeat this with setup_var_3 0x65A 0x00 to disable CFG lock

9. Enter reboot to exit and restart your computer

10. You will now find overclocking to re-enabled and CFG lock removed!

No Events found!