Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 30th, 2018 18:00

17 R5, GPU fan error on boot

I am writing this forum post because for the past month my Alienware 17 R5 has been running Diag's and giving an GPU error code at every boot up. Yes every boot up.

Error Code: 2000-0712

Validation: 105472

Opened a case with support but they were unable to resolve the issue. They then stated the issue was caused by Dell's "SUPPORT ASSIST" software. The issue persists even if the software is removed. They told me a new version is being released second week of September, but that has came and went. They now tell me there is no ETA.

Support agent tells me its a false positive and will not cause harm to my machine. That is not really reassuring to me and with this machine costing $1,700, I believe these issues should not persist for this long. I also am not finding anyone else with similar issue to mine.

Am I the only one with this issue? What actions can I take if issue is not being resolved?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 17th, 2019 11:00

Hi @carlosgz10@Azrael Winter 

Send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can review your cases.

June 3rd, 2019 09:00

I have the same exact problem... alienware 17 r5, get cpu fan and vga fan failed all the time when i cold boot my laptop...

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2019 13:00

Hi @pablitoadrian

Send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can review your case.

June 7th, 2019 17:00

Unfortunately updating the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework chipset driver did not work. I still get CPU fan error when I cold boot the PC.

July 16th, 2019 15:00

Hi @Alienware-Eimy , can you help me with this issue?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 17th, 2019 13:00

Hi @rafaelchefe

Send me a private message (by clicking my Alienware-name) with the Alienware PC service tag number so I can review your case.

August 18th, 2019 07:00

Hi @Alienware-Eimy I have the same problem with my Alienware 17 R5, I purchased it just last June. I've already executed the recommended actions (update BIOS) of the SupportAssist Pre-Boot page, but the error persists. Could you help me please? Has anyone found a solution? Thanks.

2 Posts

October 14th, 2019 10:00

I've been having this same issue for the past 4 months or so. Fans are actually working fine, but it is annoying to boot into the SupportAssist screen every time I power on my laptop.

October 14th, 2019 11:00

Welcome aboard. Dell just doesn't have a solution for that, and they want us to pay for a new fan even though they don't even know if replacing the fan will solve the problem. Just pathetic.

2 Posts

October 15th, 2019 12:00

Thank you @rafaelchefe !

That's really bad! My laptop is still under warranty, so I suppose Dell should cover any hardware failures such as this one. Just got contacted by a Mod requesting my Service Tag, I will let you know if they're able to solve it.

671 Posts

December 9th, 2019 05:00

Thank you for sharing that with us. We'll be sure to pass it over. Hopefully it will help others out, should they need it. 

If you find anything else do let us know. 
Other than that, can we go ahead and mark your case as resolved

3 Posts

December 27th, 2019 17:00

I have the CPU failed issue in the bios and both my fans are not working. What do i do?

1 Message

December 31st, 2019 15:00

I can confirm this worked for me as well. I restarted a few times to see what happened and the error is gone. 

And it was deff a false positive for me as well. You can see the fans working in the command center.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2020 12:00

Bought my 17 R5 in Dec 2018. This same VGA fan not responding error has started showing up today on each reboot.  Ran SupportAssist and followed the recommendation to update 2 drivers (see below) but the boot-up error (2000-)5011 persists.

Drivers updated (1) Serial ATA Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console (2) BIOS Alienware 17 R5 system BIOS 

2 Posts

March 8th, 2020 12:00

Bought mine 17 R5 in Dec 2018 and hit the same VGA fan not responding error (2000-)5011 only today on Mar 2020. After following SupportAssist's recommendation to update 2 drivers (Serial ATA Intel Rapid Storage + 17 R5 system BIOS from 1.6.5 to 1.8.1), the problem persisted in showing up on several reboots.  On repeated reboots, the error has now gone away and I can hear & see the fans work normally.

No Events found!