Alienware

2 Bronze

17 R5, OEM mobo replacement

Hi I recently purchased an Alienware 17 r5 (02.2019) and just yesterday it appears my motherboard has failed ( 6 months out of warranty ) so now I have a very expensive paper weight sitting on my desk:/ is there somewhere I can find the original motherboard to purchase and replace? I wonder if it will even be feasible to replace it or if I should just look into purchasing a new laptop? Cannot seem to find it searching google. Thanks for the help! 

Replies (21)

No it's the card reader ribbon cable. Without being able to look at one of my 17's right now....it goes from the power button board down to the card reader which then has another cable that heads to the motherboard....something like that. If this card reader cable gets damaged then the power button doesn't work. 

Current Machines
M18x R2 i7-3920XM, GTX 970M, 16GB 1866MHz DDR3L, 970 Evo NVMe - Custom Delft Blue
17 R1 i7-4910MQ, GTX 880M, 32GB DDR3L, 120Hz Display
M17x R3 i7-2760QM, GTX 580M, 16GB DDR3
Aurora R4 ALX i7-3930K, GTX 980, 16GB DDR3 Vengeance
Aurora R4 ALX i7-3930K, GTX 670 FTW, 16GB DDR3
Area-51 ALX i7-975, GTX 670 FTW, 12GB DDR3
X51 R1 i7-3770, GTX 1060, 16GB DDR3

Yeah you can still find them but they are getting harder and harder and the pins break really easily. One false move reattaching it and it's cactus. 

Current Machines
M18x R2 i7-3920XM, GTX 970M, 16GB 1866MHz DDR3L, 970 Evo NVMe - Custom Delft Blue
17 R1 i7-4910MQ, GTX 880M, 32GB DDR3L, 120Hz Display
M17x R3 i7-2760QM, GTX 580M, 16GB DDR3
Aurora R4 ALX i7-3930K, GTX 980, 16GB DDR3 Vengeance
Aurora R4 ALX i7-3930K, GTX 670 FTW, 16GB DDR3
Area-51 ALX i7-975, GTX 670 FTW, 12GB DDR3
X51 R1 i7-3770, GTX 1060, 16GB DDR3

Oh that’s what you mean,

If my reply solved the issue, click the, "Accept as Solution" button! 
YourBuddyYasin YouTube page

I'm in the same boat as you, a $1600 piece of garbage also purchased on 02/2019.  I have bought every computer I have ever owned from Dell but will never spend another penny with them.  I'm also gonna close my DFS account.  Any recommendations on a decent gaming laptop?

yep. Sold it to a computer repair store at a loss/lesson learned. Staying away from Alienware/Dell from now on.

good for you, i'm already looking at gaming laptops from costco which gives you a second year warranty free and doubles to 4 years if you use the citi costco credit card.  stay safe and healthy.

2 Bronze

Hi, I also have the same Laptop with the same issue; MB failure. Because my warranty expired, Dell wouldn't accept fixing it for free. I've had this laptop for one and a half year and I took good care of it. After some back and forth with Dell, I took it to a repair shop and it turns out that the motherboard can't be repaired and the only option is to replace it.

It really is disappointing and frustrating AND unexpected for Alienware to have this issues. What a shame... 

Now I am thinking of my options. Is it worth it to replace the motherboard or have the laptop sitting around and looking pretty? Should I just put it aside and just built a desktop?

If Dell sees this, you ought to do something about us if you truly value your customers. I am looking for a reasonable solution to my problem. So if you want to keep me as a customer, please help me out.

Well All I can say is that most people now are having issues with their 13,15,17 R3 and R4 Revisions because of the stated motherboard failure.

If my reply solved the issue, click the, "Accept as Solution" button! 
YourBuddyYasin YouTube page
2 Bronze

I also have a 17 R5 that I purchased almost exactly 2 years ago. Now my battery will not charge. I bought a new battery and that didn't work. I had recently damaged my AC adapter, but it still powered the laptop. But I bought another adapter as that is the only other possible cause other than the motherboard according to what I've read. That arrived today and also did not fix it. The battery can not be charged. So I decided to see what a new motherboard would cost me and found this thread.

I bought this laptop as a portable desktop since I was traveling a lot for work. But I also just built myself a new water-cooled mini-ITX desktop last summer with a GTX 2080 Super that puts this laptop to shame. Since I no longer travel for work I'm not going to put any more cash into this laptop and will not buy another Dell product again. I still have a laptop from 2007 which I paid $700 for that works... Paying $2k for this laptop was a joke.

Alienware quality disappeared once Dell bought them. Now they are just trying to peddle the name. It's all made in China too, that's where my laptop had to ship from.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions