Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Message

September 26th, 2019 12:00

17 R5, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 compatibility issue

This drive is recognized at times and on other boots it's gone. I have resorted to deleting the driver and having Windows 10 assign a driver to it, but the inconsistency has surfaced again. I am not using at as the primary OS drive, it's in the 2nd PCIe M.2 2280 slot.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

4 Posts

November 28th, 2019 08:00

I just bought the drive and am waiting for Amazon.es to ship it.

Were you able to solve the issue? My Alienware is R4 but still won't be happy if that happens...

Have you tried to reinstall Windows?

1 Message

December 25th, 2019 04:00

I've had the same problems with the same SSD drive.  I thought that it may have been something with the Alienware laptop or even the way that I had installed the drive but I guess not.

5 Posts

January 31st, 2020 22:00

@JPL500I've had the same drive only in the 512GB give me similar issues. I swapped to a Samsung 970 EVO Plus and have had the same issues. I contacted dell support and they mentioned a conflict between the motherboard and certain NVME M.2 drives. I'm thinking (and was told by another expert outside dell) that the controller tech on the drive itself is clashing with the motherboard tech. This in turn is causing boot sectors to corrupt, and the only way to reset it is to do a fresh install of windows 10. I've done this MANY times at this point. They gave me a list of compatible NVME drives but your model is different than mine, but the issue sounds similar. I'm on an Aurora R8, and the compatible drives are extremely overpriced due to their age. I've gone with a basic 2.5" SSD from crucial (MX500), I really wanted to save the second SSD slot for another 2TB Samsung QVO, but I can't deal with this boot problem anymore. On a side note, it's handy having a main boot drive strictly for windows because I haven't lost any program data (I probably just jinxed myself and my slave drive now). 

Best of luck to you. Hopefully you fixed the issue by now.

2 Posts

February 1st, 2020 12:00

Thanks for the info. I bought the 2019 alienware m17 (new) gaming laptop and a 4tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe SSD.

Shouldn't have bothered on either account. Alienware is as bad as apple, and I'm the fool who gave them a second chance.

2 Posts

February 1st, 2020 13:00

Fixed it. Some glue-sniffer at alienware decided it was a good idea to set the bios drive (not plural) to raid mode. Changed the setting to AHCI and REINSTALLED WINDOWS, and now the drive is recognized properly and works great!

Thanks for making a painless process extremely frustrating Alienware! Keep up the good work!

2 Posts

July 28th, 2020 03:00

If I set the setting to AHCI, then my Windows 10 will simply not boot. How you solved this issue?

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 28th, 2020 06:00

You had to do a Fresh install AFTER you set the BIOS mode to AHCI.

RAID is only used in case you want to RAID with SSDs but I mean if your constantly writing to SSDs overtime it gets messed up.

2 Posts

July 28th, 2020 07:00

Problem solved!!! I found a method to switch from RAID to AHCI without reinstalling Windows 10

https://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/articles/switch-windows-10-from-raid-ide-to-ahci

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 28th, 2020 13:00

Good job!

No Events found!