ScienceX
1 Nickel

Re: Alienware 17r5 - Are both SSD slots NVMe capable?

Jump to solution

Has any one been able to do this???

Samsung 970 EVO Series 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD for storage

@ScienceX wrote:

same here.

I'm interested to know how to install the install Samsung 970 EVO Series 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD for storage, not to replace my main drive.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yes, the 2280 slots can hold larger than 1TB.

My AW 17 R4 has a Samsung 960 PRO NVMe 2TB as the boot drive.

I plan to install two 970 EVO 2TB NVMe 2280s in my next laptop AW 17 R5 that I expect to get in the next few weeks.

0 Kudos
Cos1973
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I tried to install a crucial mx 500gb nvme 2280 m.2 into the other ssd slot. However the drive was unstable causing blue screens and crashes during game play. Any suggestions on what I did wrong or what I can do?  System is AW 17 R5

0 Kudos
Moonship
1 Copper

Jump to solution

are you sure?, because the user manual for aw 17r5 says up to 1tb for both 2280 drives slots.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jace888au
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
Did you have any issues with fitting double sided m2 SSD in eg bending? I’m asking because I really want to fit either the 970 Evo 2TB into my AW13R3 or the Intel 760P 2TB. Problem is both are double sided so wasn’t sure if they fit into the slot without bending.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

If you don’t mind how exactly did you do the boot drive conversion?  I have spoken with a Dell tech guy and it sounded as if he was searching the internet after each question as I was.  I would think it would not be that difficult a transition but have tried many things and just can’t get there.

I have the 17r5 model and want to use the Samsung 970 NVMe 1TB drive as my boot drive.  

I can install and configure the drive but can’t figure out how to make it the boot drive and use the factory drive as storage.

0 Kudos