Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

32 Posts

May 16th, 2019 21:00

17 R5, i9, GTX 1080 thermal, AGA

First of all, there isn't really a point hooking a GTX 1080 in Graphic Amplifier for this model. Since it already has overclocked one inside.

However, I accidentally have a Graphic Amplifier and a GTX 1080, so I just hooked the system up and run testing on Far Cry New Dawn.

I run the test in 1080p at maxed setting, and have a average fps around 85. Topped at around 120, bottomed around 25.

The laptop is not overclocked, CPU runs at 4.8GHz max, and I didn't touch CPU voltage.

During the test, with fan profile set to max, the temperature average around 87 degree Celsius. Topped around 95, bottomed around 82.

I feel the system is thermal throttling, as there are two dramatic frame drop during the test (to around 25 fps). Other than the 2 drops, the game runs pretty smooth and averaged around 85 fps.

What makes me concern is the frame drop happened twice during the short test, and the fact I am not using internal graphic card (GTX 1080 OC), as the game is running on the external graphic card.

So, yeah, with internal graphics card disabled, the CPU seems still able to throttle.

Of course, I haven't reapply the thermal paste yet, so there still gonna be some space for improvements.

I kind of wondering if having a high temperature is common for this model (or similar model), and kind of interested what temperatures are common during heavy load.

32 Posts

May 16th, 2019 22:00

Okay, it seems I am kind of enjoying playing around with the OC feature.

I did another test.

Still, Hooked with External Graphic Card, No Repasting, Max Fan Speed, and still tested on Far Cry New Dawn under 1080p Max Setting.

I crank down as much performance as possible and lowered as much voltage as possible.

CPU now looks like this:

Max Frequency: 4.3GHz (Originally 4.8GHz)

Voltage 0.9V (Originally 1.25V)

Voltage Offset: -100mV (Originally 0mV)

Now the game max fps is around 100, average around 82, and bottom at 16.

The temperature now tops at 85 degree Celsius, averages around 80 and bottom around 75.

So, by cranking down the CPU performance and lower the voltage, the temperature drops around 10 degree Celsius. Which also results some performance drop in game. It seems the sudden frame rate drop still happens even the temperature maxed around 85 degree Celsius.

Also, some additional information I forgot to mention. I placed my laptop on a cooling pad, so there might be some impact because of that.

No Events found!