DKGrimes
1 Copper

17 R5, macro keys not working, Guild Wars 2

My problem is this-- I can set the macro keys and have them work for launching app shortcuts, as well as for keybindings in other games, but when I try to use them in Guild Wars 2 specifically, it acts as though the key isn't being pressed at all, even though the assigned function matches the keybinding I have set in game. Additionally, the in-game toggle to enable a dynamic AlienFX theme that reacts to play also does nothing.

Note that these features did and still do work perfectly fine with my R4 which I have been intending to pass on to a family member. 

Is the new version of AW Command Center somehow to blame, or is it the game itself? Nothing I have tried has made any difference, and while I intend to contact their tech support, looking up similar issues has me expecting little to come from that.

4 Replies

Re: AW 17 R5 - macro keys not working in game

Hi @DKGrimes,

This is normal in the new Command Center. It changed a lot the way in which games are supported for Alienware systems and features. Unfortunately, the games need to be developed for the new features and some will likely not be in the near future.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Rylen18
1 Copper

So what you're trying to tell us is that the Alienware keyboard is not smart enough to input keystrokes from macro keys and requires the game developers of each and every game to make sure their product works with your clunky command center application? Of course the games wont recognize the individual macro keys as options for keybindings but if I set my 3rd macro key for example to input the keystroke "7" it should work perfectly fine and the game would recognize that I pressed 7 rather than a foreign key. I have had other keyboards work exactly like this, perfectly fine with specifically Guild Wars 2. This issue is only on your end, Dell/Alienware, to fix. The Alienware command center is not inputting the proper keystrokes from the macro keys inside of Guild Wars 2. 

I have similar issues with Guild Wars 1.  I have a brand new Alienware 17 R5, and I'm disappointed to find that I can't use the macro settings to play my favorite games.  It's even more frustrating to learn that they don't work in GW2 either, as it is another of my favorites.  I don't understand how it's the games' fault either.  Guild Wars 1 is in maintenance mode; it's not going to be updated to meet the Alienware Command Centers specifications for macro keys.  Yet I can't even map something as simple as pressing "I" to open my inventory.  So you're telling me I have 27 programmable macro slots that are essentially wasted space when playing my favorite games, and that it's the games' fault?

0 Kudos
rodri64k
1 Copper

Hello! i have the same laptop and the same isue. try to change the language of your keyboard on English US and the problem will fix
0 Kudos