BobNoNickname
2 Bronze

Re: 17 R5, no supported AlienFX devices were detected

I am on my 9th un-install, delete folders, reboot, re-install from Micro$oft store, allow "downloading" (which takes forever, and the only way you know it's even working, is to open up Task Manager, and look at networking activity-- the AWCC shows a scant tiny activity, as if you were on dial-up... 

.. the file from Micro$oft store? IS JUST A STUB!  It's not an actual file that runs, beyond a shell/window-dressing. 

So.  wait...wait...wait... FINALLY the download is complete (I'm on high-speed-- when I manually download an older version of AWCC, it takes all of 10-15 seconds).... then?  You absolutely *must* reboot-- and it begins the "update" all over again, for the *next* tiny parcel of this buggy boondoggle. 

I've been on chat and phone help... do you know what you have to do **every** time?  Un-install, then delete folders, then reboot, then re-install, then re-update (20 minutes, minimum-- I think they are deliberately hosing the "update") then reboot again, and again... 

... only to see that "no supported alienfx devices were detected" message again... I have carefully *not* checked "do not see this again", because I definitely want to know when this bug-bomb isn't working... 

And here's the worst of it-- once the "tech not-support" person walks you, yet again, through the un-install-delete-re-install robotic script?  It's 'well, you gotta nuke that from orbit-- wipe out ALL your files, ALL your saves, ALL your installed software" so they can install yet again-- software that does not, in fact work at all. 

Do you want to know what was next on the list?  A new motherboard...!!!  Seriously?   

Here is my history, as of 6/27/19:   This am, all was Well, my lights were exactly as I wanted them.  I don't change these up very often.  But, I was on a new game and wanted to create a macro to do some repeated tasking, via one of the 5 macro keys.  Simple, right?  

Oh.  My.  I so wish I'd just left it all alone...!!!!   Launched Command Center-- it wanted to "update"... so, STUPID ME, I let it try.... *BOOM*.  That's where everything went to haitch ee double-hockey-sticks.   So, not being entirely a Noob, with respect to PC's (been building since 1981, infact) I un-installed AWCC stuff, downloaded from Dell, re-installed, rebooted, and this time, allowed it to ... ahem... "update" itself.  THAT is when the dreaded "no devices" error first surfaced.   Okaaay, something went south.  Un-install, re-install, etc.  No joy.  

Got on Chat.  Was informed to NOT USE the Dell drivers/support any more-- except when you have to?   What?  Anyway, un-install yet *again*.  Delete various folders, as per Dell, including a REGEDIT.  (what?  but I did anyway). 

Go to Micro$oft store-- download the STUB, install, let it "update"... wait... wait... done?  Nope--reboot, wait for yet another "update".... reboot... and again...  and so on. 

Now? I'm on the 9th-- that's right-- NINTH un-install, delete, re-install cycle.  (if this was Baseball, I'd be optimistic-- except it's Dell, so I'm going into a 12 inning stretch, obviously) 

STILL NO JOY:  EVERYTIME I REBOOT, AND START AWCC:   "no AlienFX device", blah, blah, blah... then? 

The bug-bomb gets STUCK in what I can only assume is an vain attempt to "phone home, ET" loop-- a black box, middle of the AWCC screen, with the cutsy Windows 10 rotating dots thingy.... which I let run for 15 minutes... 

I did check Task Manager for web activity, just in case-- nope.  It's locked in an endless loop, as per I can only assume, was it's "design"... 

Three different "no support" techs, one via telephone that I barely understood (I'm hard of hearing).  They all come back to "There is a small gnat in your basement, so we  must drop a nuclear bomb on your town, and then rebuild from scratch...."  re-install a fresh copy of Windows?  Not a "repair install".  Not an "upgrade in place install" but a bare-metal, nuke from orbit?   Nope.  A big old nope from me.  

I'll keep beating on this thing-- I know the lights work, as rebooting will toggle/dim them as the various softwares each load up...  so it isn't a hardware issue, I do not need a new motherboard, and I so do not need a "fresh" copy of Windows!  

Fix your bug-ridden mess, Dell!  OR Give me the option to install a version that is 2 or 5 iterations older-- you know-- back when it still worked.  (yes... I have searched Dell for an older version.  I thought I had one... alas... I do not... my bad-- I had no idea Dell deliberately, and with malice, removed links to older WORKING versions....!) 

BobNoNickname
2 Bronze

Update:  it finally quit with the spinning dots thingy.   Took about an hour. 

Okay.  Go to the "create new profile" section, in a case of "why the keyboard not"? 

*BOOM*  The bug-ridden boondoggle of crapware?  Immediately dumps to the desktop-- Task Manager shows it's not even running in the background....! 

Well, the AWCC.Service is... but the main Command Center program?  Gone from the Processes tab. 

What's up, Dell?  Too many hires from Apple?  

BobNoNickname
2 Bronze

Update 2:   Rebooted the laptop. 

Waited for all the restart stuff. 

Loaded the AWCC--- dreaded "no device" as expected.  

But, after dismissing that?  I'm back to the infinite loop Windows 10 rotating dots thingy....!  

Whaaaat?    Weird, or what? 

BobNoNickname
2 Bronze

Update 3:   I really paid attention this time. 

Previously, I had simply rebooted via Windows power option.  

This time?  After un-installing, deleting files, etc, I decided a full power off.   I was acting on a hunch, and had also un-installed all Logitec software, as it contains senseless keyboard drivers for their stuff (I'm only using a trackball).  There are 3 pieces of Logictec bloatware... 

Anyway, after pulling the Logitec dongle?  I powered down.  Off.  Everything is dark.  Hit that alien-head-- as it powered back up?  Viola!  The BIOS goes through a little light show, on the keyboard, case and touchpad-- pretty!  It fades through the various primary colors:   proof-positive the chip/lights are not at fault at all, if the BIOS can activate all the possible colors upon boot-up.  But once Windoze seizes control?  Generic blue... (yuck!) 

So.  Definitively:  There isn't a darn thing wrong with the friggin HARDWARE-- so a NEW MOTHERBOARD WILL NOT REPAIR THIS ISSUE!   What a senseless waste of money, Dell!!!!! 

Sadly, I must report that removing the Logitec had no effect.  And now?  The stupid AWCC cannot even install the Command Center Suite!  It throws an error cod:  "vendor id invalid" (in the log file).  I'll be rebooting and trying again, just for due diligence.   (dang it-- I already miss my trackball-- I hate 'pads...) 

0 Kudos
BobNoNickname
2 Bronze

Dang, why can't I just go into the BIOS settings, and put in a default value for these darn lights? 

Seriously-- not complicated.  I do not give a rat's about "custom settings for different software"-- never used it, wish it didn't exist, in fact.  Had a dilly of a time figuring out how to NOT have the stupid library do that "automatically"...!

But anyway, it's obvious the capability exists in the BIOS-- as during boot up, we see a pretty light show.  I COULD HAPPILY DISPENSE WITH THE BUGGY BOTTLE OF USELESSNESS THAT IS COMMAND CENTER, IF I COULD JUST SET THE LIGHTS IN BIOS.... !  

Anyone at Dell listening?   

BobNoNickname
2 Bronze

Okaaaay... a NEW error! 

When launching the Bug-Bomb that is Command Center? 

It wants to update (after the "not found" message-- duuuhhh).  

Okay-- let it trundle.  It does.  Asks for confirmation of impending install-- FAILURE. 

** Vendor Return Code is not found in Mup.xml

I rebooted, just to see-- consistently generates this new error message... Buggier and buggier, Dell...!  

BobNoNickname
2 Bronze

The buggy software that just keeps on giving and giving-- me a headache

Apparently I have managed to hose the incredibly stupid and dumb "Dell Update Service" that resides in some sort of hidden magical archive deep on my pc. 

MUP.XML is apparently some sort of driver archive/library/BS thing, that I have managed to get this infernal Alienware Command Console removed from entirely... 

And NOTHING on the web talks about fixing MUP.XML files, or even what in the heck they are...

I do know what XML is-- it's a mark up/programming language.  I cannot locate this MUP file on the web, how it works, what it is supposed to do, none of that-- but it now inhibits ALL downloads from Dell/Store/whatever, using the stupid .EXE installer model that Dell has gone to.   

I absolutely miss the days of driver files  because I know how to force Windoze to use those, at need... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
BobNoNickname
2 Bronze

Okay, I am absolutely going to strangle some **bleep** at Dell.... I found this, this "MUP" file, buried deep in a program I neither wanted, needed and now?  Gotta fix somehow.... 

NO DELL UPDATE FILES WILL NOW RUN ON MY PC.   What?  

I'll be looking at un-installing ANYTHING named "Dell", at this point, selling this stupid paperweight and never-EVER-EVER buying another Dell, nor recommend to anyone to do so... 

WHAT ON EARTH?  I'm ready to bite nails with this crapola!  

BobNoNickname
2 Bronze

Okay, that did, in fact, fix the MUP issue-- I un-installed all things "Dell", specifically all the download/support assist stuff.  Renamed their directories (which I'll delete if this works), and am now in the process of re-installing support assist... 

Geeze, talk about NannyWare.   I *ought* to be able to install the drivers as needed, without any of this bugged stuff too....   but round and round it goes, where it stops?  Nobody knows.  

And, naturally, as with the case of **all** Dell/Alienware software?  They are slooooooooooow to download stuff they need...  and it's now late, and I'm tired, so I'll finish in the AM.... 

But it looks like it's re-creating the MUP junk... good!  This will hopefully remove the stupid Killer Wifi drivers I neither want, nor need (I replaced that useless WiFi card, as it never worked right, from Day 1.  I put in a nice Intel card, on which the Killer is apparently loosely based.... forgetaboutit... the Intel card-- the latest and greatest my MB can handle?  Was a measily $25.  Worth. Every. Penny and then some. ) 

0 Kudos
BobNoNickname
2 Bronze

Well this sh just gets better and better /end sarcasm.

The much vaunted "dell support assist" is even worse software than Alienware Command Center. 

No,  seriously -- it is.  Bog help you if you delete the infernal thing-- 'CAUSE YOU SURE AS HECK WON'T GET IT RE-INSTALLED!

I found multiple "help" pages, right here on dell.com, that supposedly told how to clear out that bugware. 

I followed to the letter-- including a REGEDIT.  Reboot.  Re-download a fresh copy of the STUB FILE.

NO WHERE CAN YOU JUST DOWNLOAD THE WHOLE THING-- ALWAYS, IT'S A CRAPPY STUB FILE--WHICH DOES NOT APPEAR TO UNDERSTAND HOW TO INTERNET... 

... always the same thing:   Download the tiny stub-- launch the tiny stub-- it immediately tries to go download more stuff.   BUT IT DOES NOTHING OF THE SORT.  I have Task Manager open, to check network activity-- ZERO.  NADA.  NOTHING.  The ONLY thing it does?  Is bump the GPU up to 2%, briefly, then back to zero.  NETWORKING?  Zip.  DISK ACTIVITY?  Zip.  

Beyond sickening, is what it is-- why cannot I just download the whole infernal thing, and install THAT?  Sheeze, Louize this is the most unprofessional pile of <deleted> I've had to deal with in 20 years of computing...