Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

7 Posts

February 11th, 2019 02:00

17 R5, power button led not working

Hi guys and supporters,

I got a problem with my power led button is not glowing right now. I have updated my windows 10 and everything such as Ailenware command center and Oc control to the latest version and also update all drivers of my laptop to the latest one but my led power button is not working. I have tried many time: shutdown reinstall, re-install windows but it doesn't seem well. I saw my power led button worked one time before but when I shut down and open in the next time, it has gone. I have configured in command center but it still not work. Can anyone show me to repair this or any solution to test the power button? I just afraid that I will have any issue related to hardware. Thanks so muchimage.png

image.png

18 Posts

February 11th, 2019 20:00

I have the same problem with my power led button not glowing on my 17R5   Mine worked about 2 weeks and when Alienware  Command Center did an upgrade to 5.2.20.0 it stopped.   Since then I've tried, reinstalling windows, drivers, bios updates and other tips that other users have posted in the forum with no luck in restoring my power buttons glow.   I've put off calling support because I really don't want to have to go through the whole reinstall, upgrade process again unless I really know its going to fix it.  I was also hoping the 5.2.24.0 would do the trick but it didn't.    

61 Posts

February 12th, 2019 05:00

Every time my lights quit working I have had to send it in for a new motherboard.

61 Posts

February 12th, 2019 07:00

@Alienware-Eimy wrote:

Hi @levantai2525,

Dell's Engineering department has identified that looks like when updating AWCC from version 5.2.8.0 to a newer version, there is a small issue with the LEDs, caused due to the firmware upgrade not flashing correctly. (This is sometimes seen, only when the upgrade is run while the keyboard LEDs are off).  

Please try the following steps:

Note: ALL AlienFX settings and themes will be lost after the following steps as everything is from the defaults.

1. Uninstall the version of AWCC that you've just installed (for a clean uninstall and reinstall make sure you follow ALL the steps in this article)

2. Clean install AWCC version 5.2.8.0 to force the firmware back to version 1.0.5

3. The Power LED will still be off at this point, Reenable the keyboard LEDs using the Fn + F12 keys together

4. Close AWCC and uninstall version 5.2.8.0

5. Clean install  AWCC version 5.2.24.0 <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> to upgrade the firmware to version 1.0.7

6. After successful installation you will have the power LED back and the default blue keyboard light

Note: Only by doing clean installs can we ensure the fix. An upgrade install will not suffice.

DELL is also working on a new AWCC that should fix the issue.

This is fantastic news! Glad to hear they are making progress on fixing these AWCC bugs.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 12th, 2019 07:00

Hi @levantai2525,

Dell's Engineering department has identified that looks like when updating AWCC from version 5.2.8.0 to a newer version, there is a small issue with the LEDs, caused due to the firmware upgrade not flashing correctly. (This is sometimes seen, only when the upgrade is run while the keyboard LEDs are off).  

Please try the following steps:

Note: ALL AlienFX settings and themes will be lost after the following steps as everything is from the defaults.

1. Uninstall the version of AWCC that you've just installed (for a clean uninstall and reinstall make sure you follow ALL the steps in this article)

2. Clean install AWCC version 5.2.8.0 to force the firmware back to version 1.0.5

3. The Power LED will still be off at this point, Reenable the keyboard LEDs using the Fn + F12 keys together

4. Close AWCC and uninstall version 5.2.8.0

5. Clean install AWCC version 5.2.24.0 <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> to upgrade the firmware to version 1.0.7

6. After successful installation you will have the power LED back and the default blue keyboard light

Note: Only by doing clean installs can we ensure the fix. An upgrade install will not suffice.

18 Posts

February 12th, 2019 16:00

That fix mine!   Thanks for the guide on how to get it working!   

The only thing I had to do different was Step 3's  Fn + F12 didn't work.  I had to turn the lights on by the App but the Alien Head light still didn't work.  Did a restart, still didn't work.  So I did a shutdown then power up and the Alien Head lit up.   I then followed the rest of the directions and installed 5.2.24.0 and all of the lights are working.

February 12th, 2019 19:00

Hi jim gross, What is your BIOS version and did you need to reinstall your drivers or windows again? Can you show me the version of BIOS and OC control cause I have followed the mentioned solution but my laptop is still not working with the power button :(

February 12th, 2019 19:00

I have followed the steps provided by your instruction but my power led is still not working. The weird thing is I followed complete clean as your provided link: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln303405/how-to-remove-and-reinstall-the-alienware-command-center?lang=en But when I come to the step HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Alienware then there are no such things like: AlienFXMediaPlugin Alienware AlienFX CCPlugins Command Center Also the same in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Alienware Do I need to uninstall OC control with AWCC together? Thanks

February 13th, 2019 05:00

Hi Dell Moderator, My power led button right now is working properly. Somehow I turned off my laptop for a while (4hrs later) and then I opened it and my led has come back to me. Thanks for your kind support.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 13th, 2019 11:00

@levantai2525@jim gross 

Great news! You're welcome :)

February 15th, 2019 06:00

Thank you for ur solution, that fit me

1 Message

March 24th, 2019 11:00

Thank you so much Alienware-Eimy !!

I was so upset that I had the same issue for Power button LED in my new Alienware M15.

Your steps solved my problem. :)

1 Message

June 3rd, 2019 20:00

Hello it has been a while since this thread was posted. I have a similar problem on my Alienware 15 R4 except that the led that's not working is on the led on the left chassis. This happened when I realized that my awcc wasnt working properly and the updates that came kept failing to install so I went ahead and do a reinstall of the awcc (ver. 5.2.37.0). Upon finishing I found out that the left led chassis wasn't able to turn on. I followed the steps posted by Alienware-Eimy where I uninstalled the software, removed the files in appdata, programdata and regedit. However, it didn't help. I was wondering if I should proceed with your post where you install an older version of awcc in order to update the firmware? Please help. Thank you.

Edit: I meant download an older version first then the latest one

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2019 22:00

Hi, 

Send me your Service Tag in a private message, so we can look further into this. 

23 Posts

June 4th, 2019 23:00

This is fantastic news! Glad to hear they are making progress on fixing these AWCC bugs. :)

Still waiting for that new and improved properly working AWCC. While you're at it, how about you support the wireless card you sell with your computer? Or make the computer continue to function EVEN AFTER SOMETHING BESIDES WINDOWS IS INSTALLED? Imagine a three thousand dollar computer that works and you can use for things. What an idea!

June 6th, 2019 21:00

i also did the same , nothing is working. this product is just wast of money if dell did not fix this issue. it is about two weeks i am trying to fix this but nothing is working. mine all the lights are on .it makes my laptop warmer so i want to off it but can't 

No Events found!