Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

85 Posts

November 20th, 2018 10:00

17 R5, strange wifi problem

I'm re-posting this from the AlienwareArena forums as I've received no responses :

I recently bought an Alienware 17 R5. I've had no real issues with it except for some bluescreens related to the Killer NIC / wifi chipset but, since I installed driver updates, I've had no more bluescreens. I'm now experiencing a new strange problem though : I have a wifi network where the access points are Netgear "Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000". I have one main access point and two satellites. To get to the point, when I leave my laptop on for a long time, such as overnight, then I'll be able to connect to my wifi network but I have no Internet access. The only solution I've found is to reboot the laptop. Note that my laptop has the "Killer 1550 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 5.0" option installed. Also, note that my laptop is set to "performance mode" in power options in Windows 10 and the only thing that turns off is the screen.

None of my other devices seem to be experiencing any problems.

I keep experiencing the above problem as I left my laptop for a few hours, and I experienced the same behavior and had to reboot. When my network connection went wonky, about the only site I could access was www.google.com, but, in any browser, if I clicked on the search results, I'd get the following errors, in Chrome and IE respectively :

"ERR_CONNECTION_FAILED"

"Details
This website could not be found.
Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND"

Firefox didn't give me any errors but it did nothing when trying to connect to anything, as if I had not even pressed enter -- strange.

It sound to me like there's some kind of strange DNS problem.

I'm at a lost as to how to fix this or what the exact problem is.

If anyone can suggest a solution or if you've had similar problems, please let me know.

Thanks,

jdb2

1 Message

March 24th, 2020 19:00

This solution worked for me (adding Registry DWords keys). I've been having this issue since middle of last year when I purchased this laptop (Alienware 17 R5. I even replaced the killer Wifi card with another one from Intel. I also removed all killer software but nothing worked. Very frustrating. Especially since I am an IT Administrator and couldn't find a fix for my personal computer. I added the registry keys and didn't even had to restart. Internet start working again. This a Killer software issue, not a Windows one as they state on their website.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

November 21st, 2018 19:00

Go to the post following in the forum. There seems to be a number of issues with the Killer wifi card.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/New-Alienware-17r5-connection-issues/td-p/6080250

10 Posts

December 1st, 2018 06:00

hi,

one of these methods should help:

Disable TCP

User Account Control Settings

Flush DNS

Netsh reset

Help video on youtube

Help step by step article

1 Message

January 24th, 2019 14:00

Did the suggestions here help you? I have the same problem you described. I can add a little texture to it as well. Oddly enough even though browsers will stop working instantly returning "ERR_CONNECTION_FAILED" on the command line pings, and DNS lookups continue to work perfectly. I also work with VMWare Workstation extensively, and even after the browsers in my Host have stopped working my network continues to work perfectly within the Guest (Ubuntu) environment.

1 Message

February 9th, 2019 10:00

Aaron,

I'm having precisely the same issue, but haven't found a fix just yet.  I've tried removing the Killer Suite and installing the drivers from the .inf files on the site, but to no avail.  

I also have dual stack IPv4/IPv6, Google WiFi as infrastructure.  It seems like TCP gets gummed up somehow, but I'm just using the software that came with the laptop.

1 Rookie

• 

85 Posts

February 11th, 2019 10:00

Thanks for the links and suggestions. Unfortunately, none of them worked for me so far. The first two only apply to Microsoft Edge, which I don't use. As for "ipconfig /flushdns", I had already tried that to no avail. I just reset netsh and we'll see if that clears anything up, but I'm not hopeful.

Everyday, I have to restart my machine because of this problem. I wish there was some way to fix it.

jdb2

1 Message

February 11th, 2019 13:00

I am trying the following:  https://www.killernetworking.com/killersupport/driver-downloads/kb/faq/82-internet-problems-with-new-computers-with-killer-1550.  Not planning on installing control center.  Hoping it works.

1 Rookie

• 

85 Posts

February 13th, 2019 10:00

Well, after having reset netsh, again, today I had to reboot my laptop. I'm having the same problem where there seems to be an Internet connection but I can't navigate to any page in a web browser.

My Killer chipset drivers had already been updated and the Killer Suite un-installed ( it was causing bluescreens ), but, that has not helped the issue.

There is some type of serious problem with the WiFi in the Alienware 17 R5.

jdb2

1 Rookie

• 

85 Posts

February 26th, 2019 11:00

I'm still experiencing the same problem where there is an apparent Internet connection and some network enabled apps work and some don't. And yes, I've had to restart my laptop again today to fix this.

Dell really needs to do something to address this.

jdb2

1 Rookie

• 

85 Posts

March 9th, 2019 10:00

After trying many supposed "fixes" for the Alienware 17 R5's Killer NIC's connection dropping issues, I'm still experiencing the same problem. My connection to my wifi network drops from one to three times a day, which necessitates a reboot for each instance, which is very inconvenient. Dell really needs to fix this.

I'm loath to open up a Dell support case as I'm afraid that my laptop will be damaged or have cosmetic problems after repair. Also, I don't want to hassle with Dell because I'm not going to return the factory SSD with all the private/personal information on it. I also don't want them unnecessarily installing a refurb SSD and I'm *surely* not returning my D: data 4TB $1K Samsung 860 Pro SATA SSD, which I'd have to take out of my laptop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

jdb2

9 Posts

March 27th, 2019 09:00

In the EXACT same (dang) boat you are in...this is soooooo frustrating. Alienware 17 R5.

In the Killer Control Center settings page, I'm trying disabling the Advanced Stream Detect.  I should know by tomorrow at the latest if it has any effect. 

9 Posts

March 28th, 2019 16:00

@jdb2  ...dangit...still not working...although it went longer than it has before....

http://www.killernetworking.com/support/help/KillerCC/KillerHelp_en.html#Settings

Just had to do a reboot...but that was the first time in about 36 hours.

March 28th, 2019 23:00

What is your onboard Killer NIC Card?? Curious. I had a similar issue till I upgraded my wireless card myself.

9 Posts

March 29th, 2019 04:00

It's a Killer Wireless AC 1550 Wireless Network Adapter (9260NGW),

Driver Provider: Intel,

Driver Date 6/25/2018,

Driver Version 20.70.0.5

With "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" unchecked

Is this what you updated/replaced?

1 Message

March 29th, 2019 15:00

Had the same exact issues with my Alienware 17 R5. The registry "fix" described at the link below seems to have improved my issues a lot if not fixed them completely. I can definetly go days now where previously my laptop would start getting messed up after 24 hours. My computer came with 1809 from Dell but even though the link says it is a hit or miss fix for 1809 it has helped my situation.

https://support.killernetworking.com/knowledge-base/no-internet-access-when-connected-affects-ethernet-and-or-wi-fi/

No Events found!