Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 14th, 2018 09:00

17 R5, wired connection issues

I am having a very odd problem while connecting to certain websites using the new Alienware 17r5. It is equipped with the Killer G2500 for the wired connection and the Killer 1435 for wireless. When connected via the wire, I get this error when trying to access certain sites: ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT. It does not matter whether I used Firefox, Chrome or Edge. Same error. However, if I disconnect the wire and just go wireless, it all works fine. What is going on here? How can I resolve this?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 14th, 2018 10:00

Ok, ended up doing a chat with a very knowledgeable Dell tech support agent. They removed the network and bluetooth drivers and the Killer Software Suite. Reinstalled just the drivers without their software and it works great. Apparently that software causes a lot of weird issues. In case anyone else runs into this issue. 

1 Rookie

• 

81 Posts

May 15th, 2018 09:00

Glad you got it sorted out. 

The Killer software has been......interesting.....to say the least for quite some time.  

Chances are if you install the newest software from the Killer website it will probably work fine , but whatever version most system ship with causes issues non stop for a lot of people.  Most of the time it is actually the Wireless that goes flaky instead of the wired.  

In almost every case just removing the Killer Software and leaving the driver fixes it. 

1 Message

October 4th, 2018 22:00

I want to thank CelticDiablo for his update, as of October this still seems to be an issue - just reinstalled the driver without their software and my issue is gone.

Cheers!

2 Posts

January 20th, 2019 19:00

Just purchased 17 R5. Worked fine for two weeks. Now same issue. Wireless to router is fine. All other devices have connections to Internet..., but not my brand new, very expensive Alienware laptop with a well-known issue. C'mon Dell.

2 Posts

January 26th, 2019 09:00

Here we are, just a few days later and once again, same exact issue with updated software. God, I really hate computers.

3 Posts

March 18th, 2019 17:00

Found this thread searching for ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT which I am seeing in the Chrome console intermittently on TDBank's online banking site and others.

I have a Dell G7 with the Rivet Networks hardware and their software. Wireless works fine with TDBank and other sites. Over wired, lots of those errors and the site does not work.

Thanks to this thread, I went into "Killer Control Center" (had never run this thing before) and saw a switch for "Advanced Stream Detect". Was on. Turned it off and like magic those errors went away in the Chrome console. I tried this first rather than doing a whole reinstall of the Rivet stuff and it happened to work.

Thanks to the contributors on this thread.

1 Message

September 7th, 2019 13:00

Took me half day to figure out a suspicious windows service (Killer Network Service) created all those weird browser errors, and then finally found that switch. It is definitely a bug of Killer network software. I'll report at their reddit channel, hoping some of you could follow up to push them towards a proper fix.

1 Message

September 22nd, 2019 17:00

Just switching to off worked for me as well. AWESOME!

1 Message

December 9th, 2019 11:00

OMG....

Finally! After a year of these never ending struggle I accidentally stumbled upon this thread. Done as suggested. fingers crossed it will solve the issue. It was driving my crazy. I have that golden customer care package and the problem started to demonstrate itself right from day 2 after the laptop arrived from the plant in China. The only solution I was offered was to replace the network card. Hopefully it will all be solved now

No Events found!