Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 27th, 2020 12:00

18 R1, need advice for upgrading (noob here)

Hello fellow forum users! I am the owner of a very old Alienware 18 laptop that I bought about 7 years ago and it has never been upgraded. Now before you say I would be better off buying a new rig - no, this is my beast of burden and I would like to keep it as such (also I think it would be cheaper). This was my first gaming PC and as such, I have never had the opportunity to really learn the ins and outs of computers, so that is why I have come to you for help and guidance. My foremost issue is I would like to upgrade the GPUs (my rig has two). When I bought my rig I was able to run current games and future releases for the next few years at max settings however as games evolve the hardware required to run them does too. My ultimate goal is to have my computer ready for Cyberpunk 2077 but as that is not out yet, the Witcher 3 at Max Settings, or close to it, is my benchmark (I currently struggle to play even on low settings). Could someone recommend some high-end GPUs that are compatible with the Alienware 18 (I am not sure which revision I have, how can I find this)? And with upgrading the GPUs will I also be required to upgrade the CPU? If yes, what are some high-end CPUs I should look at? I do not know much about clock speeds, cores, etc. so any relevant information on that would also be helpful. Is it also recommended that I upgrade (or at least buy new) fans to compensate for the increase in temperature thanks to the newer hardware? I use a fan cooling pad under my laptop but I would hate to upgrade my computer just to have it combust. What else, if anything, needs to be upgraded so everything is compatible? Below I have attached my laptop's specifications. If you require any additional information to answer my questions please ask and I will retrieve it. I apologize for such a long post with many questions but any help or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated! 

Thank you!

memory.PNGspecs.PNGgpu.PNG

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

September 4th, 2020 20:00

* Go back to the top of this Alienware Laptops board
* Open, "FAQ Alienware Laptops"
* Open, "Alienware Laptops naming confusion"

The x was the models that came in 2011-2012 and the 18 R1 was the newer one they updated with the 4th gen intel and dual 980ms over the 780M sli.

I upgraded my 18 R1 From 2015 with an MXM style RTX 2080 with 11GB GDDR6 RAM And its like a mini Desktop GPU inside of a laptop!

I have the 4940MX model too and overclocked it to 4.4GHz and 5GHz when I'm not doing anything.

I can recommend to you to get the 1070 model MXM as the 2080 wont work with the M18x R1 & R2 so i think?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 27th, 2020 13:00

Upgrades on a 7 yr old laptop--or any laptop-- are not practical and normally not even possible. Laptop parts are soldered to the motherboard. Buy a new computer if yours is not working well. If it is working fine, use it until you can replace it. 

Check the service manual for your model at Dell Support.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

April 27th, 2020 14:00

Your 18 is very upgradeable as none of the components are soldered to the motherboard. There are limitations though. If you don't plan on overclocking your CPU then I would suggest a 4910QM. Even though it's not an extreme processor it can still be overclocked a little. If you really feel like getting into overclocking then the 4930MX is the way to go.

Your GPU can be upgraded to a single GTX 1070 or dual GTX 980M's. You really don't get much benefit from SLI these days so a single card is much better and the 1070 is still a pretty decent card and you'll see a massive difference from a 770M. They aren't cheap though so expect to pay around $370-450USD for an MXM style GTX 1070.

Check out the forum at NotebookReview for a great guide on how to upgrade your 18.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/successful-alienware-18-msi-gtx-1070-mxm.818900/

I put a GTX 1070 in my M18x R2 and she runs great.

27 Posts

April 29th, 2020 14:00

The Alienware 18xR1/R2 are upgradeable with GTX1060/1070MXM video cards. The Alienware18 2014/2015 model not so much, do your research before purchasing video cards. 

September 4th, 2020 17:00

The GPU and CPU are upgradeable on this particular machine.

September 4th, 2020 17:00

hey thanks for replying with such great facts. 

do you know if the 18 is a later release compared to the 18X ?  lol i never knew what the 'X' meant

No Events found!