jakeLP
Bronze

ALIENWARE 17r3 windows 10 installation and bios setting

Dear dell forums,

i have something in my mind that isn't clear after i installed win10.

this is what happened after several times of my windows installation before i stick to this configuration.

1st i installed windows using SATA: RAID and LEGACY boot option(i used LEGACY cause NVMe PM951 samsung SSD drive isn't recognizable using UEFI boot option in which drive should i install windows installation option)

then i thought it's gonna be fined. then after reading some tech info's.. LEGACY is old booting option and UEFI is much better. so i re-install win10.

2nd i installed windows using SATA:AHCI (i used AHCI cause my NVMe PM951 samsung SSD drive isn't recognizable in SATA:RAID configuration) and UEFI enabling LEGACY mode configuration.(enabled LEGACY mode cause my NVMe PM951 samsung SSD isn't recognizable using UEFI disabling LEGACY mode boot option)

finally the win10 is installed. i thought i was going to be happy. then again after reading some tech info's.. ACHI is a old SATA configuration and RAID is much better. so again i re-install my windows

3rd(my current settings) i used SATA: RAID and UEFI enable LEGACY mode(enable LEGACY mode in order to appear my NVMe PM951 samsung SSD drive to windows installation) so now, windows 10 is installed in my NVMe PM951 samsung SSD drive.

after the installation i tried to disable LEGACY boot option on my bios setting but changing this setting have a warning that if i change it my windows may not boot, etc.. (same way to changing SATA: ACHI/RAID). but i proceed disabling it because booting with UEFI and LEGACY annoys me cause of its long booting time. proceeding to disable LEGACY mode after restarting my windows won't boot. so i bakc enabling LEGACY mode again. after a while installing drives and updating some staffs in inside my windows, i tried to change my bios settings again. cause screen booting time's really annoys me. i disabled LEGACY boot option restart my laptop then it works!

SO I'M CONFUSE?
WHY MY SSD ISN'T RECOGNIZABLE IN CIRCUMSTANCES? WHY IT BOOTS AFTER I INSTALLED DRIVERS AND UPDATES?
IS THERE A PROBLEM ON MY SSD?
OR WHAT???
"i'm not mad sorrySmiley Tongue"

Looking forward to your bios settings and any replies related!
THANKYOU!!!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JOcean
Gold

Re: ALIENWARE 17r3 windows 10 installation and bios setting

It looks like you have used every conceivable combination on your boot options. Usually it will be AHCI, Secure Boot disabled, UEFI and the boot order would be Windows Boot Manager first.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln301036/windows-10-install-with-nvme-ssd-and-sata-dr...

0 Kudos
jakeLP
Bronze

@JOcean wrote:

It looks like you have used every conceivable combination on your boot options. Usually it will be AHCI, Secure Boot disabled, UEFI and the boot order would be Windows Boot Manager first.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln301036/windows-10-install-with-nvme-ssd-and-sata-dr...

But this settings are the actual settings when i first bought this machine. it's on RAID and UEFI. so i just brought it back. and 1 of the reason why i changed back to RAID because i felt unusual than before using ACHI. like a bit of laggy.  so do you think this configuration is a mess up?

0 Kudos
jakeLP
Bronze

this is what i've read from the link https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln301036/windows-10-install-with-nvme-ssd-and-sata-dr...

so, how to i perform this "disable all the SATA Storage device (HDD/SSD) controllers in the system Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) " ? i don't have such thing in my bios settings

0 Kudos