Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 24th, 2018 23:00

17 R2, auto dim issues

Hi, 

I was quite frustrated when my Alienware 17 R2 (2015, Intel HD Graphic 4600, NVidia GTX 980M) auto goes dimming everytime. When I browsed the bright webpage or apps, the brightness goes 100%; however, when I work on dark webpage or apps like Steam, it auto dims to 25% or 0%. I tried all of these methods but they seem don't work for me: 

1. Adaptive Brightness in Power Management: Turn off 

2. Control Panel --> Services --> Disabled Intel Dynamic Application Loader Host

3. Intel HD Graphic Control Panel --> Disabled Extended Battery & Display Power Saving Technology

4. Drivers of NVidia already updated. 

5. Laptop is always plugged in, no concern about power source. 

Anything else I can do for this? Please help since it's quite annoying and I've got some headache with that. 

Thanks so much in advance. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 25th, 2018 13:00

Hi @kidszalor1412,

Check this:

Dim.PNG

January 28th, 2018 22:00

WOW!  Really! Thanks thanks thanks thanks so much Eimy. This solved my problem! You

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 29th, 2018 11:00

You're welcome :Smile:

June 16th, 2018 19:00

Also, on Windows 10, if this occurs on your 17 R5, it could be your (Tobii) Eye-Tracking:

Windows > Tobii Core > Interactions > Power > Dim Brightness = Off

August 21st, 2018 11:00

Sir, Ive got the same dimming problem on my aw15r4 and I don't know how to solve it. I don't have the tobii eye tracking system neither the alienfx. What can I do, Sr.? Thanks in advance. 

1 Message

March 27th, 2019 06:00

I am on an Aurora R5 and this did not help. Still goes dark after awhile. It is frustrating but I am sure it is a Windows setting somewhere. Continuing to look.

March 27th, 2019 06:00

Mate, dont known if it helps but I solved my problem swapping the panel in my 15r4, I know it's a laptop, but you could try connecting you Aurora to another monitor or TV and discard if it's a windows setting problem, if not, its maybe inside your monitor.

7 Posts

January 17th, 2020 02:00

Hooray. The other suggestions here didn't help, but this did! I have an Alienware 17 R4 and the auto dimming annoyance has happened twice now, straight after a Windows 10 Home 64-bit (first 1903 and then 1909) update. Everything else I tried didn't work. I don't use the Tobii eye tracking option and have never changed any of its settings. Is Windows Update doing something to these settings (or somewhere else)? BTW, the adaptive brightness settings to disable auto dimming are missing from my settings which is why I had to search high and low for another solution.

1 Message

February 3rd, 2021 17:00

This is the correct answer.

1 Message

July 7th, 2021 13:00

I came to this thread in hopes to find a solution. None of the solutions listed worked or even relevant to the monitor auto-dimming. It appears to be an HDR setting for me. 

I accidentally bumped into the solution... Windows 10 - If you go into display settings in Windows, then click on the monitor (if you have multiple) that you are having issues with. Now in the middle of the screen is a link to Windows HD Color Settings - click on this... If you scroll to the bottom then you should be able to adjust the HDR/SDR brightness balance. I turned mine to 100% So far so good. 

No Events found!