Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 16th, 2018 18:00

15 R3, battery wear extremely high

Hi, my 9 month old Alienware 15 R3 with the 99Wh battery has almost 30% wear. The wear has been increasing really fast, so much that when I began monitoring the wear it was at 11%. Calibrating the battery multiple times has only worsened the wear level. Bios and everything else relevant is up to date. On multiple occasions, the wear has increased 2-3% just by not using the laptop for a few days. I can provide screenshots from HWinfo and several battery reports from Windows which show how the wear level went from 25% to 29% in less than 2 weeks. I contacted Dell support back when the wear level was at 17%, and they just told me that it was "normal" because batteries just deteriorate over time, which is true but not at such a high rate specially for a premium device. If this keeps going, I'll probably have less than half the capacity in a few months, which is awful given how expensive this system is and how much I rely on the portability of this laptop. If anyone could give me any guidance or help I'd be thankful.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 17th, 2018 13:00

Hi @deybitesq,

Send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can check your account.

2 Posts

January 17th, 2018 10:00

Have  you opened your machine at any point? If so, is the battery connector correctly connected to the mobo?

This worries me, as I have the 99 model as well.

7 Posts

January 18th, 2018 11:00

@agjr85Yes I opened it and the battery connector is well put, so that's probably not the cause

7 Posts

Update: Left it on sleep for a couple of hours and it's now at 32.3%. Might be also useful to point out that I have Express Charge disabled in the bios.

7 Posts

Hi @Alienware-Eimy, I just sent it, thanks

2.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2018 16:00

You might want to delete your Legal solicitation post as it violates TOS and has nothing to do with the post.

2 Posts

January 25th, 2018 09:00

Hi

I had the same problem with my alienware 15 R2.

First the battery started to do like yours, after 10 month since i bought the pc not even 100 cycles of charge, and after that  the battery died completely when the guarantee had expired. It seemed to have been done specifically

You are lucky that happened before it expires.

I agree with you that a premium product like this has a such problem, i hoped that with the new version had solved the problem.

3 Posts

July 29th, 2018 08:00

i have an alienware 15 r3 ( gpu 1060) and until now i have been really content with it. i bought this laptop in june 2017 and during the first 6 months i used to get good 2.5-3.5 hours of battery life. Then after  i started struggling to get even 1.5 hours. hence so i called dell support and after few diagnostics test it got confirmed that the battery required replacement. So i did replace it and just after 3 months of use now i am still struggling to get even 1 hour. while i finished writing this my battery dropped from 64% to 22%. its totally ridiculous. the device also stays hot apparently which i find is killing the battery. And all of this are happening when i am at end of warranty. i have been very patient with dell support but the battery getting killed before its cycles is totally unacceptable. through hwinfo i already have 17% wear level. This was my first gaming laptop so far and i was really content but the way its giving me probs i feel that i just have been fleeced in buying just by the aesthetics. My earlier asus had atleast better battery life considering i paid so much for this laptop.

1 Message

December 26th, 2018 14:00

I have same issue. I can not find the battery replacement on dell. Any one can help me?

My battery totally flat, the test have failed. Please help. 

No Events found!