Meecho
1 Copper

AW 17 R3 - power issues when playing games

I have an Alienware laptop (17 R3), but when I play even slightly intensive games on it, it constantly switches between battery power and power supply. This means the battery doesn't charge properly and so I can only play games on battery power, which of course doesn't last very long.

I've already tried taking the back off and unplugging the battery connection, waiting 30 seconds and plugging it back in again, and while this worked for Civ VI, it doesn't seem to make a difference when I play a more intensive game like Assassin's Creed Origins.

Any better solutions? This seems to be such a common problem with this laptop, it's really disappointing.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: AW 17 R3 - power issues when playing games

Hi @Meecho,

Is the system in high performance?

Is the BIOS recognizing the AC Adapter when this happens?

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Meecho
1 Copper

Re: AW 17 R3 - power issues when playing games

Apologies for the late reply @Alienware-Eimy, I've only just been able to re-test my computer today.

Yes, I am in high performance mode.

I'm not sure how to see if the BIOS is recognising the AC adaptor?  This power issue only happens when the games are running, so if I restart and go into the BIOS, then of course it wont be happening anymore.

Thanks for any help you can give

0 Kudos