Kaushikh
Bronze

Re: AW15 R4 High Temps

@obzerving No, Don't do that. You revert the multiplier to 22x and then go into FIVR, where there's a panel called Turbo Limit Ratio. Play with that value, I've set all my cores to a 36x max boost multiplier. Also i underclocked my gpu to 1800 Mhz using MSI Afterburner.

obzerving
Bronze

I'll try that. Thanks, Kaushikh.

0 Kudos

I think the only way that you can really fix this problem is by performing a repaste using liquid metal but this is extremely difficult (trust me, I've tried) due to the unbalanced heatsink design from Dell. And even with liquid metal, thermal performance on Alienware Machines is just not great, I would suggest that you get something from MSI next time (I've never owned one but my friend did and the performance is freaking amazing + easy repaste). Overall, except for the build quality I don't think this is a good device at all with tons of hardware + software problem. And even though Dell Support is probably the second best in the world right now (just after Apple), what can you expect from the Support Team when the product itself is just bad, there's literally nothing they can do.

0 Kudos
obzerving
Bronze

@NamNguyen191

My previous laptop was an MSI 6200, which I bought in 2009. I would still be using it for software development if I had not decided to develop VR applications. So, I have reasons to sing the praises of MSI laptops. However, it's also subject to thermal shutdowns and a metal hinge had busted through the lid. I probably would have bought another one from them, but they didn't offer any with my specific configuration requirements. However, I don't have any delusions that it would have been trouble-free. All you need to do is go over to the MSI forum (or any other vendor's forum) and you can see that the grass isn't necessarily greener. That doesn't mean we shouldn't hold Dell accountable for their products and I'm hoping they understand that their reputation for support is important to their bottom line.

0 Kudos