TomC69
1 Nickel

Re: AW17r4 and USB-C Dock

Unfortunately I don't think that you can use the tb3 usb-c to bypass the iGPU with a 17r4.  That's just the way it's wired.  I have tested this before with a usb-c to hdmi adapter connected to my tb3 and checking the nvidia physix tab it only shows it connected to the iGUP (intel 630), not the dGPU (1060). 

So, the only connections you can use to utilise the 1060 with a 17r4 for external monitors is to plug them into either the hdmi or mini DisplayPort (or both).  the DisplayPort should support 4k 30hz, maybe 60hz depending on resolution.

The tb3 usb-c port on the 17r4 is still very useful for other applications like fast mass storage.  No sense using it for ethernet because there is already an ethernet port on the 17r4.

If you need more graphics processing power you may want to consider using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier with a GTX1080 founders edition GPU.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Not being able to bypass the iGPU does not mean that the dGPU is completely unavailable. Again, the majority of multi-GPU laptops on the market have their display outputs wired to the iGPU, but the dGPU is still able to accelerate content on those displays by acting as a render-only device and passing completed video frames to the iGPU for final output to the display. That’s what NVIDIA Optimus does. It’s only a small handful of niche features that become unavailable in this wiring configuration. In fact, I’m 98% certain that the AW17 R4’s internal display is physically wired to the iGPU, and obviously the dGPU can still be used with that. The same would capability would be available with the USB-C/TB3 ports.

All that said, if the HDMI and DisplayPort outputs are physically wired to the dGPU, then yes if you WANT a few of those niche features like G-Sync and VR, those outputs would be better to use. But if you don’t care about those and would rather have a single cable solution, then you do NOT completely lose the dGPU by using USB-C/TB3.

0 Kudos
TomC69
1 Nickel

Sorry, but unless you actually have a 17r4, your comments are not very useful imho.

0 Kudos
SampleX
1 Copper

Well, that ripped me a new one, didn’t it?

Here’s the thanks you demanded.... thank you so very very much.

I’ve never read someone use so many very self-important words to say “I don’t know the answer to your question.”

More fool me for being so **bleep** specific and asking about whether something specific was possible with a specific model of computer.

I’m now the best informed person on how something on any number of computers might or might not work and the schience behind why, but without being an engineer who designed that computer specifically, I’m no wiser.

I do very much appreciate, having asked for clarification, being told to refer back to the original tome of verbiage which concludes with “I don’t know.”

It helps keep me grounded to know how stupid I am.

May I recommend you refer to the dictionary definitions of “sanctimonious”, “verbose” and “redundant.”

Since you value your time and effort so very much I’d like to kindly suggest that reading the question and being succinct and honest about your ability, or willingness to answer it effectively would help you save a lot of it.

And on topic, you’ll be amazed how an effective and light hearted, patient treatment of a request for help which included the word “please” elicits all kinds of gratitude - but usually they’re forthcoming when the effective answer provides enlightenment. I don’t know for sure but I imagine that if you ask someone for a lift to a specific place and they take you on a twenty mile ride around the outskirts and then tell you they didn’t know the place you were trying to get and leave you in an even stranger district, thanks aren’t the first thing on your mind.

Thank you so very much. I’m overwhelmed and none the wiser.

0 Kudos
SampleX
1 Copper

Ok, cheers.

That helps give a clearer picture of the 17r4. It’s a kind of ironic position that the TB3 solutions boasting extended graphics are in effect hamstrung by high end graphics laptops, perfect for mid-end business and general multimedia, but all sell at what I would class as high-end accessory pricing.

Certainly the way they’re advertised doesn’t promote the notion that your £2000 laptop might actually be the inherent fatal bottleneck in your plan for the ideal one-cable convenient solution to dekstopizing the laptop.

it certainly threw me, and I’m glad to have had a clear definitive recalibration of my expectations with this rig. Especially before spending spondoolix.

More than anything the convenience of one-port “docking” to a desktop environment was appealing - it seemed....tidy. I don’t know if it’s just an OCD thing but the idea of plugging in and out 4 or 5 cables per day irritates me - wearing ports out, plus having previously ended up with a toasted ethernet port on a lappy... One cable loks tidy, but the hope begins to fade when it becomes apparent that power is insufficient over TB3. Then graphics requires the use of the MDP or HDMI, plus the TB3 for USB and bulk storage... 3 cables and the price of a dock doesn’t seem like money so well spent for the 17r4. Maybe if it were an XPS15... and I have a TB2 dock for a MacBookPro...

You learn something every day.

Cheers, Boss!

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

@SampleX wrote:

Well, that ripped me a new one, didn’t it?

Here’s the thanks you demanded.... thank you so very very much.

I’ve never read someone use so many very self-important words to say “I don’t know the answer to your question.”

More fool me for being so **bleep** specific and asking about whether something specific was possible with a specific model of computer.

I’m now the best informed person on how something on any number of computers might or might not work and the schience behind why, but without being an engineer who designed that computer specifically, I’m no wiser.

I do very much appreciate, having asked for clarification, being told to refer back to the original tome of verbiage which concludes with “I don’t know.”

It helps keep me grounded to know how stupid I am.

May I recommend you refer to the dictionary definitions of “sanctimonious”, “verbose” and “redundant.”

Since you value your time and effort so very much I’d like to kindly suggest that reading the question and being succinct and honest about your ability, or willingness to answer it effectively would help you save a lot of it.

And on topic, you’ll be amazed how an effective and light hearted, patient treatment of a request for help which included the word “please” elicits all kinds of gratitude - but usually they’re forthcoming when the effective answer provides enlightenment. I don’t know for sure but I imagine that if you ask someone for a lift to a specific place and they take you on a twenty mile ride around the outskirts and then tell you they didn’t know the place you were trying to get and leave you in an even stranger district, thanks aren’t the first thing on your mind.

Thank you so very much. I’m overwhelmed and none the wiser.

Wow.... So let’s see here. I explained to you that the D6000 and the WD15/TB16 docks you asked about differ in an important way that affects whether the dGPU can be used no matter what system you use them with. I then confirmed for you that if you used the latter two dock options, you would at the very least have dGPU acceleration, and simply MIGHT not have certain niche features like G-Sync, 5K, VR, etc. I further clarified that even if a display is physically wired to the integrated GPU, that does NOT mean that the displays can’t be used for gaming or rendering, because Optimus allows dGPUs to act as render-only devices even for those displays. It didn’t sound like you knew any of that beforehand, judging by your original post. And given that most people don’t care about the aforementioned niche features and instead just want to make sure the dGPU can be used for rendering, for most people’s purposes my answer would have contained all information necessary for making an informed dock purchasing decision. And yet you claim to be none the wiser. How nice. That could only be the case if you were specifically and solely interested in those niche features, since that was the only element I was unsure about.

But if you DON’T care about those specific capabilities, then even IF the USB-C/TB3 port on that system is wired to the integrated GPU, having a display connected through a TB16 would be functionally equivalent to connecting to the built-in mDP port. That can hardly be described as hamstrung and only useful for mid-end business and general multimedia. It simply means that this design isn’t ideal for a small subset of gamers that use those specific features.

0 Kudos
Pewterskier
1 Copper

I know this thread is a couple of months old, but wanted to share some information.

I just went through a similar (not for graphics) related discussion, long discussion with many contacts, with Dell support.   I was clearly told, by multiple technicians, that Alienware laptops (mine is a 15 R4) do NOT support the concept of Thunderbolt docking stations, period.  

The discussion was triggered by my buying a Dell Universal dock to "clean up my desk" and having multiple issues (keyboard lockups, etc) with it.  

So....perhaps one will work, perhaps it will continue working, or stop working, but Dell will not support it.  I offered to buy any dock they make if it would work (just keyboard, mouse, speakers, headphones) and the answer was a solid, hard "No."

If anyone doubts this position, or  someone from Dell monitoring this disagrees, I'm happy to share the logs of my chats.

Thanks and good luck - David

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Tungsten

If all you want is USB ports and headphones/speakers, why not just get a garden variety USB hub and connect the speakers/headphones separately?  I realize a dock would cut this down from two cables to one, but a full dock is a pretty expensive way to remove a single cable connection if the only functions you care about are USB and audio output.

0 Kudos