Highlighted
1 Copper

Adding M.2 SSD to Alienware 13 R2.... HELP!

So I wanted to add an M.2 SSD to my Alienware 13 R2. When I checked the spec sheet online, it said that the Alienware 13 R2 has 2 M.2 slots, so I went and bought a WD Black 1TB High-Performance NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD. Since purchasing, I am having trouble installing it. I couldn't find any specific M.2 slots after opening up the bottom, so I did some research and read on a forum that I needed an adapter for the SSD. So I went and bought a StarTech.com M.2 NGFF SSD to 2.5in SATA Adapter, and a USB to SATA wire to transfer everything on my HDD over to the SSD. When I put the SSD into the adapter and connected the USB to SATA wire to the adapter, my laptop gave me the error message that there was a power surge on the USB port and that it couldn't give the SATA adapter enough power. In order to overcome this, I bought a powered USB hub that would be able to give the adapter the power that it needed. After connecting the SSD to the adapter, the adapter to the powered USB hub, and the powered USB hub to my laptop, the laptop is not recognizing the SSD at all. I am very confused and I already don't know much about computer parts so this whole process has been very stressful. Does anyone know if I am doing anything wrong during this whole process, or what I need to do in order to correctly transfer the files from my HDD over to my SSD and start using the SSD as my boot drive? A detailed explanation would be greatly appreciated since I don't understand a lot of computer part terminology.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Adding M.2 SSD to Alienware 13 R2.... HELP!

I don't have an Alienware 13, but one thing I think you need to check is if the 13 r2 actually supports NVME drives.

The M.2 name convention is for the type of port on the motherboard, and has different types of devices that can be used, and not all devices will be compatible with all M.2 ports.

M.2 slots can support 2 different types of SSD - SATA ones and NVME ones. 

NVME is the newest type, and while I think a SATA SSD would work in an NVME slot, I'm not sure if a NVME drive would work in a SATA slot. 

The information I can see for the 13 R2 on the Dell website indicate it may have 2x SATA III ports. 

So it could well be a case that as you bought an NVME drive, if the laptop does just have SATA ports then it may not be compatible.

Would be worth waiting for a response from one of the RockStars or Mods who may be able to clarify this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

您好, 建议您接上M2的SSD 固态硬盘后,进入到bios 里确认能否识别到,假如无法识别,有可能是硬盘容量太大导致无法识别,建议您可以尝试更换容量小一些的硬盘测试

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Germanium

You need one of these for a M.2 SSD in a AW13R2

s-l1600.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

What is this called and where can I buy one?

0 Kudos