fizaddou
1 Copper

Alienware 13 R3 CPU failure

I just want to vent a little bit here. 

I purchased my laptop in Feb 2017. Shortly after I got it the speaker failed. A representative was sent over to replace it at my home. She did a very poor job, cracked a bunch of the plastic, bent the heat sink and caused quite a bit of cosmetic damage to the inside shell of the system. I tried to get these issues fixed but it became too time consuming at the time (I am a medical student, this all happened during exams) so I gave up. 

This laptop wasn't used for gaming. I used it to take notes, write emails, write exams, do some research work and watch movies.

Today in class the laptop shut down and restarted itself several times. I ran a hardware diagnostic and it found nothing, but it did shut down shortly after again. I checked the temps during the test and they were in the mid 80s for the CPU. After several more shut downs and some artifacts on screen the laptop finally died with a service code that indicated a CPU failure (2 red blinks, 1 blue blink). Now when I try to turn it on I hear a very nice electrical buzz and clicking sound before it gives the error code again. 

This laptop is now out of warranty and I have to front the costs for the repair, estimated to cost ~600CAD including taxes to replace the CPU and the motherboard. 

Dell, this kind of quality is not what your customers pay premium for. I wanted to share this story so that people can make a more informed decision when purchasing one of these laptops. YMMV from what I have read online, they seem to have a lot of issues. 

What a tremendous waste of time and money this laptop has been. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Alienware 13 R3 CPU failure

Hi @fizaddou,

We are very sorry for the bad experience you have had with the system. If there is anything I can do to help, send me a Pm with your Service Tag and I will review your case.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
honestAilen
1 Nickel

the cpu is intel so perhaps it could have been faulty from them. i have the same computer and i love it aside from some minor graphics amp issues it seems unlikely the fault is of dell

0 Kudos
fizaddou
1 Copper

It's a great laptop when it's working.

I got my system back and there was a loose screw (the tech used the wrong screw size in one of the slots) and now there is an audio output issue where there is intermittent crackling/popping. I'm contemplating ditching this thing and cutting my losses. 

2700$ total spent and still not a fully working laptop not to mention all the time wasted speaking to support/trouble shooting etc. 

0 Kudos