Shawn Khor
Copper

Alienware 14 - Touchpad problem

Hi Everyone,

Need some assistance with a Touchpad issue on my Alienware 14 (2014). It is not detected in my Device Manager and I notice that the synaptics pointing device application was missing. I then proceed to Dell's page and using my Service Tag downloaded the latest driver available for my Touchpad as well as the latest version of Alienware Command Center. 

I had previously disabled it due to the fact that I wasn't using it, but it would seem that I am no longer able to enable it now as I am no longer able to access the area which I had disabled it(the Mouse Properties). 

Post attempting to update/install the latest Synaptics Pointing Device driver , when i attempt to open Mouse Properties, i'm presented with an error which states  "Unable to connect to the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver." and requested me to Uninstall the driver.

I then attempt to access the Alien Touch feature in Alienware Command Center but was presented with the below error logs. Would appreciate if anyone has any suggestion on what to do next to restore functionality to my Touchpad.

Thank you.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at AlienLabs.TouchPad.Domain.Classes.TouchPadAPIClass.GetPropertyValue(SynDeviceProperty property)
at AlienLabs.TouchPad.Domain.Classes.TappingServiceClass.get_IsTapEnabled()
at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Presenters.TappingPresenter.refresh()
at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Views.Classes.ViewFactoryClass.newTappingView()
at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Views.Classes.ViewRepositoryClass.getByType(ViewType type)
at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Presenters.TouchPadPresenter.activate(ViewType type)
at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.TouchPadPluginCtrl.activateView(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Views.Xaml.NavigationControl.viewLink_Checked(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.Controls.RadioButton.OnChecked(RoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ToggleButton.OnIsCheckedChanged(DependencyObject d, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(EntryIndex entryIndex, DependencyProperty dp, PropertyMetadata metadata, EffectiveValueEntry oldEntry, EffectiveValueEntry& newEntry, Boolean coerceWithDeferredReference, Boolean coerceWithCurrentValue, OperationType operationType)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValueCommon(DependencyProperty dp, Object value, PropertyMetadata metadata, Boolean coerceWithDeferredReference, Boolean coerceWithCurrentValue, OperationType operationType, Boolean isInternal)
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ToggleButton.set_IsChecked(Nullable`1 value)
at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Views.Xaml.NavigationControl.createViewLinkbyType(ViewType viewlinkItem)
at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Views.Xaml.NavigationControl.createViewLinks()
at AlienLabs.TouchPad.App.Views.Xaml.NavigationControl.Loading(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)
at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(Object root)
at MS.Internal.LoadedOrUnloadedOperation.DoWork()
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Alienware 14 - Touchpad problem

Hi @Shawn Khor,

There is a function key that enables the touch pad (FN+F11), check the following table. Remember that you need to have the OSD (On Screen Display) driver installed for this to work. 

The keyboard combinations are listed in the table below. Do not type the < and > symbols when executing a command.

Image: F1 Key
F1 – Extend desktop Press <Fn> + <F1> to open the screen resolution panel to extend your desktop to an external monitor and also change the display settings.
Image: F2 Key
F2 – Wireless control - Switch wireless radio(s) on/off Press <Fn> + <F2> to enable or disable the wireless radios(s).
Image: F4 Key
F4 – Eject Press <Fn> + <F4> to eject the disc from the optical drive.
Image: F5 Key
F5 – Enable/Disable switchable graphics Press <Fn> + <F5> to enable or disable switchable graphics.
Image: F6 Key
F6 – Mute sound playback Press <Fn> + <F6> to mute or unmute the sound.
Image: F7 Key
F7 – Decrease volume Press <Fn> + <F7> to decrease the volume level.
Image: F8 Key
F8 – Increase volume Press <Fn> + <F8> to increase the volume level.
Image: F10 Key
F10 – Launch/Close Alienware performance monitoring Press <Fn> + <F10> to launch or close Alienware performance monitoring.
Image: F11 Key
F11 – Disable/Enable Touchpad Press <Fn> + <F11> to disable or enable the touchpad.
Image: F12 Key
F12 – Enable/Disable AlienFX Press <Fn> + <F12> to enable or disable AlienFX.
Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos