ThomasAAT
Silver

Re: Alienware 15 R2 1.6.1 BIOS

@Darren889 Well, that is incorrect since I did stay on the first release posted in January. It is also confirmed that the two versions (1.4.4) is exactly the same bios. So that is one rumor to exit the list Smiley Wink  

0 Kudos
pch666
Bronze

@Alienware-Eimy

Any response to this?

This is getting tiresome now.

0 Kudos
pch666
Bronze

@Alienware-Eimyis this Screencap of any assistance? It looks like the Intel ME didnt update correctly with the 1.4.4 bios update (which subsequently has knackered the laptop) as my version is UNKNOWN and I guess the 1.6.1 update just didn't do anything at all to help. Also attached the log for the failed reinstall of Intel-Management-Engine-Interface-Driver_7CDG2_WIN_11.7.0.1054_A02.EXE - https://pastebin.com/raw/xHbvt4Wk (too long to paste on here.)

38666806_1564328720338413_8355644860442607616_n.png

0 Kudos

Hi @pch666,

I'm collecting information regarding this so we can pass it to engineering. Please send me a PM with your Service Tag, so I can escalate this to them.

For everyone: We are very sorry for the inconvenience this is causing, I guarantee that we have been working on this, and we will continue to do so until the problems are solved. Please bear with us. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

ThomasAAT
Silver

Hi @Alienware-Eimy!

Glad to see that Alienware is working on a solution. I personally was never in doubt of that. I have always been happy with AW regarding their products and service. 

In my case both 1.4.4 and the new 1.6.1 updated successfully and my AW17R3 are stabile and preforms as expected. I hope everyone else with problems will get their systems up and running again. 

I have one question. During the first run of the bios 1.6.1 file it gave the message to run the bios exe file again after the first reboot. To my understanding as a way to confirm that v 1.6.1 was correct flashed. When I ran the bios file after the first successful update from 1.4.4 to 1.6.1 it asked me if I would replace 1.6.1 with 1.6.1, so I canceled. 
I have all the correct updates to Intel ME drivers etc. I dont see any reason to flash the bios twice.

0 Kudos
ThomasAAT
Silver

Hi @pch666

You can have a look in this tread and see if this is something you want to try: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/updating-intel-me-firmware-on-15-r2-17-r3-or-possibly-other-...

0 Kudos
feelingfoxy
Copper

I have same problem on my Alienware 15R2, seeing so many post about it, it is already a known problem and there a whole long threat on notebookreview talks about it. I woudnt want to brick my laptop so I called up to technical support, wasted 30m minutes wait and 1 hours in total of my working hour . Get stupid and  typical anwers from technician likes you are talking **bleep** who dont know how to use computer. Dont you think I did not try to downgrade the bios, and clean install the Windows myself? Told him 1.4.4 is blocked from downgrade  and got hang up a minute after even before get to anywhere, not bother to call again since it is a waste of time. I tried to upgrade to 1.6.1 yesterday, same same, still cant shut down my laptop and booting still taking forever and still can't install Intel Management Engine which is the cause of all these problem. Hopeless really!

0 Kudos
harsh_win8
Bronze

0 Kudos
harsh_win8
Bronze

anyone tried new 1.6.1 bios dated 15 august ?

0 Kudos
ThomasAAT
Silver

Apparantly it is the same. They just updated the description. File size and file name is identical. 

0 Kudos