Dan.D.
1 Copper

Alienware 15 R2 New AC Adapter will not charge laptop

I recently bought a new Adapter since I broke the plug on the original one. I had chatted with a Dell tech support person and they recommended this adapter. However when I got it, and plugged the new adapter in, it's saying that it's plugged in and not charging. Also when I reboot my system, I get a message on start up that I'm using an unknown adapter. Is it still the wrong adapter even tho it clearly says it will work for my system?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: Alienware 15 R2 New AC Adapter will not charge laptop

The problem may not have been the adapter - but rather the DC in jack.  That would be the next thing to try.

https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Charging-Alienware-AW15R1-DC30100TN00/dp/B06W51YKTB

0 Kudos
Dan.D.
1 Copper

The thing is, I can still jury rig my original adapter to charge, and it works fine.

0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

That should not be necessary - it sounds like a bad DC jack, since two adapters do not work correctly.

0 Kudos
Dan.D.
1 Copper

I replaced DC jack. but it still won't recognize the new adapter.

0 Kudos

Hi @Dan.D.,

If you already replaced the AC and the DC Jack, then looks like a motherboard issue.

Last step, make sure the BIOS is up to date. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos